No announcement yet.

Shaving pounds to add performance, ? on component weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, they may be ugly but they work and they are lighter than a stock rotor.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Liters

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      OK, continue on with your math, if you want to correct somebody.

There are 3.78541 liters per gallon.

Divide that into the 6.1 pounds per gallon, you will see that each liter weighs 1.61145 pounds.

Since we are getting more technical, let's also get precise.

That gallon of gas is actually 6.073 pounds. Divide that into liters, each liter weighs 1.60432 pounds.

In other words, you are both correct, but you were thinking he was wrong.

Steve,really wasn't thinking about correcting someone,thinking they made a mistake.Just thought a little transposing had happenedThe old brain I have is slipping,what can I say.At least I learned today a liter of gas really weights 1.6 lbs.May need to know that someday,Happy New Years!

Comment

If you do a search, someone (I believe it was Posplayr) posted some info/pics about compatible wave rotors for the GS bikes, a couple years ago.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

I was having second thoughts on 630 vs 530 vs 520 chains, I was thinking maybe a 520 chain might be a good idea (aside from shorter sprocket life on our heavy bikes especially with a hot rodded engine)
          I'm wanting to keep my tire options open in case I decide to ditch the 5,000 mile super sticky tread on the awesome $77 140/70 (5.5" wide) Shinko SR741 in favor of a 10,000 mile tread $115 Avon AM26 RoadRider in a 150/70 (6" wide).

It may be nice to have it already set up with a 520 and maybe 1/8" spacers behind the sprockets in case I wanted to go for the 150 ever, and would certainly benefit weight savings. I have yet to price 520's that are equipped for a 480 lb bike with full tank and 150 lb rider, and being propelled by a hot rodded 920cc GS engine with mega-traction in the rear... $$$$$????
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Holding a hefty stock GS cast steel footpeg in my hand (guessing 3 lbs/pair, looking at fleabay at really nice 99-07 Hayabusa rearsets for $30 per side... I bet they will weigh half as much installed, plus I can actually shave down a lot of the bulk off of the frame in that area down to just the cradle tube, and weld on a flat plate for each mounting bolt, or maybe a a threaded sleeve welded to the frame cradle tube (much stiffer!). I'm gonna say 3 lbs weight savings in addition to chopping the entire rear passenger footpeg frame assemblies off, about 7.5+ lbs total I am guessing? I would be chopping the extra top parts off of the 'busa rearset mounting place, not sure of mounting the brake master cyl to the frame or the rearset. Hmmm?

Last edited by Chuck78; 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM.
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

there are a few members here, including me that have fitted GSXR complete footrests. yes they are a lot lighter and work really well. i cut off all existing mounts and welded on new plates to fit mine whereas some have made up mounting brackets that use original mounts.
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Adrian, are you able to send us some closer pics of the GSXR rearsets and mounts, that is exactly what I am looking for my GS1000E, much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by gs79 View Post
                  Adrian, are you able to send us some closer pics of the GSXR rearsets and mounts, that is exactly what I am looking for my GS1000E, much appreciated
                  here is the gear change side, they are from a gsxr750wp but almost any gsxr footrests will work.......

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Excellent!!

Comment

How is the riding position with your feet 5" back from stock? I feel like your seat would be much more comfortable with a forward slope. Those are some sharp rearset brackets, they look super high dollar! I think I may consider mounting them more forward and slightly lower, so that the top mount bolt is in the crotch of the frame gusset where the swinger pivot is, just below and to the rear of the swing arm pivot bolt. Slightly higher than stock but to not interfere with the kickstarter.

Can we see a larger picture of your brake side rearset?
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

the riding position is fine, the seat does not need any modification as then it will be to low, it is fine as it is.they are only GSXR750WP footrests, polished.

1978 GS1085.

Comment

what's with the polished aluminum non-remote rear brake master cylinder reservoir??? I tried searching ebay for GSXR750WP rearsets, and nothing came up with the WP on the end, and none of the other GSXR rearsets had that reservoir setup!
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                            what's with the polished aluminum non-remote rear brake master cylinder reservoir??? I tried searching ebay for GSXR750WP rearsets, and nothing came up with the WP on the end, and none of the other GSXR rearsets had that reservoir setup!
                            the reservoir is an aftermarket item, i bought it off ebay. they are out there but i cant recall the sellers ID. any GSXR rearsets will work.
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Classic CH3
                              The Classic CH3 Range are the World's original three spoke Magnesium motorcycle wheels as used by Eddie Lawson. These truly classic H-Section wheels are available for all performance retro-bikes and Harley Davidsons. These stylish, highly durable custom motorcycle wheels will put the finishing touch to any custom classic bike project.
                              Available Sizes
                              Front: 17" x 3.50/3.63/3.75
                              18" x 2.50/2.75

Rear: 17" x 4.50/5.50/6.00/6.25
                              18" x 3.50/4.00/4.50/5.00

Price for set: £1,750 (ex VAT)
                              To enquire about availability for your specification please click here to fill out an enquiry form.

Comment

or find some used.
                                Astralites are even better
                                I have 1 set of Dymags 18" and 1 set of 17" Astralites and 1 set of 18" Astralites, and no you can't have them, they're mine, ALL MINE

Comment

Working...
                                X