Fast Granny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast Granny

Had to pop to the post office today, the GS is off the road for overhaul, so I thought it would be good to give the Royal Enfield a little run. Had just parked up and was taking my helmet off, when I heard a voice behind me. Well I`m used to the old boys coming over for a chat when they see the Enfield or the GS, but when I turned around, there was this white haired little old lady with a zimmer frame. We got chatting, turns out she used to race bikes in the early fifties, mostly Nortons, but over the years she also had owned Velocettes, Triumphs and a couple of Royal Enfields. Her late husband had also raced Nortons too. She really knew her stuff too !. I had to get into the post office before it closed, so could`nt natter too long. The old dear did`nt want to stop talking bikes, but I got away eventually and she shuffled away. Quite a character, last person on a street I`d think was an ex biker !.
    "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
    1978 GS750
    1979 GS750 chop
    1979 GS550
    2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
    2000 Enfield Bullet 500
    1992 XV750 Virago
    2016 Harley 883 Iron

Originally posted by tomo View Post
    little old lady with a zimmer frame. .......
    Interesting story.

Translation please on "zimmer frame".
    Maybe what we call a "walker"..?
    Last edited by Redman; 01-07-2013, 10:05 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

zimmer frame

Comment

I would love to have a chat with her.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks for popping my picture, I figured a Zimmer must be some exotic old race bike frame or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hmmm Zimmer? reminds me of Hummer or Beemer. Not a walking aid

Comment

Hi Mr. tomo,

I would have gotten her number. I'll bet that little old lady would love to have a young whipper snapper like you to talk bikes with. Old folks are a trip and some of them are a real treasure. It sounds like you had a pleasant encounter.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sorry guys, never thought the term zimmer frame was just used over here. Yes, it is a walker like the picture Redman posted. Wish I had`nt been so rushed, I could have listened to her all day, she had some really interesting stories I`ll bet. Should have got her contact details in hindsight, but good chance I`ll see her again though as I live in a small town, only the post office, one shop and a couple of pubs. I don`t feel like I`m a young whipersnapper though Cliff, just turned 54 today. Just to make things worse, got a letter from the Doctors saying I have reached an age where they want to check me out for blood pressure, heart disease etc, that really made me feel old !!.
                "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
                1978 GS750
                1979 GS750 chop
                1979 GS550
                2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                1992 XV750 Virago
                2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                  Close, but not quite,

1982 Zimmer:
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by tomo View Post
                    Sorry guys, never thought the term zimmer frame was just used over here. Yes, it is a walker like the picture Redman posted. Wish I had`nt been so rushed, I could have listened to her all day, she had some really interesting stories I`ll bet. Should have got her contact details in hindsight, but good chance I`ll see her again though as I live in a small town, only the post office, one shop and a couple of pubs. I don`t feel like I`m a young whipersnapper though Cliff, just turned 54 today. Just to make things worse, got a letter from the Doctors saying I have reached an age where they want to check me out for blood pressure, heart disease etc, that really made me feel old !!.
                    I've got 5 on you. 54 is when things started falling apart. Never been the same since. Happy Birthday! Go see the doc.
                    cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Thanks for popping my picture, I figured a Zimmer must be some exotic old race bike frame or something.

So did I.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Zimmer ?

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I thought Zimmer is a fancy-smancy eyeglass frame....
                          Current bikes: '83 GPZ 750(shipped to Europe)and The one and only '81 GS 1000G,BOM 2/11.
                          Past bikes: '84 MZ ETZ 250
                          '84 Honda VFR 500
                          '86 GSXR 750
                          http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/caligs/

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                            I thought it meant that she was frail

People describe my "frame" with words like "Bean-pole".

Comment

Working...
                            X