Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just about said something to "Got Harley" guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
    Saying something to a fool will not change the fact that they are beyond reason and merely lemmings. But where a cliff when you need one?
    Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
    Excellent line.
    +1 here,
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Id like to think that reasonable riders with a half a brain will realize that riding is a beautiful thing regardless of brand. Forget the unreasonable. Now for a little irony.. A few years ago i was invited to ride from nj to washington dc for the Rolling Thunder Rally on Memorial Day. Our group was comprised of 4 "sucky" harleys and one vintage gs 1150. which bike died leaving DC ,250 miles from home? thats right, the suzuki. (stator/ regulator burnup). It actually was a funny memorable trip, and no brand loyalty bs ever came up... As i said, forget the unreasonable. Besides, who would expect a 25 year old machine to act perfectly always?
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

When I owned my shop in Hawaii, I used to see a LOT of "I'd rather PUSH my Harley than ride a Jap bike!" stickers on trucks. That gave me an idea. I went & had stickers of my own made. They said "I'd rather RIDE my Jap bike than push a Harley!" Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Id like to think that reasonable riders with a half a brain will realize that riding is a beautiful thing regardless of brand. Forget the unreasonable. Now for a little irony. ...
          Two bits of irony in my riding history:

1. Back in 1979, we were riding back from oHIo to California on our KZ1300. We met up with another couple on a KZ650 near Oklahoma City and agreed to ride west together for a while. Around Amarillo, Texas, I realized that my headlight was not on. Stopped on the side of the road at the last exit on the west side of town to troubleshoot. Found that a relay (that I had installed) had come out of its socket. I put it back in and was putting side covers back on when we heard "thunder". Saw a BUNCH of headlights bobbing toward us, then they pulled over. The leader asked if we needed any help, I said "found the problem, fixed it, just putting it back together". He said "hate to see a bike on the side", gave the high sign to the rest of his group and the headed off. As they left, we looked at the back of their vests. Could not see their home location, but the "Hell's Angels" wording was very clear.

2. A couple of years ago, I was desparately trying to leave Flori-duh after my work assignment there. My van overheated and cooked the engine, I ended up with a replacement van. Many thanks to dpep for putting me up for several days while the transaction went through. I was north of Jacksonville, but not yet to the Georgia line, I saw two bikes on the side of the freeway. I just had to stop. As I was pulling up behind them, I could see they were Harleys, the one closest to me had one of the saddlebags off, which is never a good sign. I asked what I could do to help, they said that a wire on some lights they had just added had shorted out and blown the turn signal fuse. He added that he had just put in his last spare fuse, so I went back to my Wing, which was on the trailer, and got some more fuses for him. Then I pointed out the irony of the situation. Here they were, two Harley riders from New York, with their bikes on the ground, and me with a GoldWing on the trailer. It's usually the other way around. They appreciated the humor of it and we all got back on the road, headed up the coast.

True bikers or motorcyclists are generally a friendly bunch that really don't care what you ride. It's more important that you do ride.
          It's the posers and wannabes that give the rest of them the bad name.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            True bikers or motorcyclists are generally a friendly bunch that really don't care what you ride. It's more important that you do ride.

Stopped to fuel up yesterday. A Harley guy walks over wearing an Outlaws t-shirt and claimed to be a member. He was both curious and complementary about the 1100.

We walked over to his bike briefly, then he said let's go back to yours, I've seen mine enough times. A pleasant 15 minute chat.
            1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Id like to think that reasonable riders with a half a brain will realize that riding is a beautiful thing regardless of brand.
              Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I think you nailed it right there, It is the bad, snotty contemptuous attitude displayed to other forms of life on two wheels that I can't stomach.

Round our way in UK they sit on Hernebay seafront all dressed up scowling at everybody.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I think you find clicks in any select group who think they are above everyone else, I've also noticed a group of Goldwing club riders or a group of Beemer riders act the same way, no offense Steve(for the goldwing comment), people are azzhats, not bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                  I think you find clicks in any select group who think they are above everyone else, I've also noticed a group of Goldwing club riders or a group of Beemer riders act the same way, no offense Steve(for the goldwing comment), people are azzhats, not bikes.
                  I have noticed that in my travels. When I get to a new area on a work assignment, the first thing I do is look for GSR members to "victimize" on the weekends, then I look for the nearest GoldWing chapter. If their monthly meeting fits in with my schedule I try to go and meet them, especially if I have one of my bikes with me.

Of course, with the Wing, there is absolutely no problem with acceptance, but when I take my 850, they first look at this "stranger" that is approaching on a non-Wing to see who it might be. I introduce myself and say that I am also a Wing member, and even show them pictures of what I have. They all realize that a Wing is not the only bike out there, and most have no problem with a "foreigner" in their midst (the GS, not me ). It is amusing to see how many of them say "I used to have one like that", then continue on with some other memories of the bike. It also helps that my bike is quiet (not quite as quiet as a Wing, though) and has a CB radio so I can communicate with them on our ride.

On our annual trip to West Virginia, we have had several non-Wings join our group. Over the years, several GSers have gone, including TCK, Dogma and Simon & Deb Keuther from Australia. We have also had several Harleys, BMWs and several other bikes. All were there for some enjoyable riding, not to be snobbish about any other bikes.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you want to really see an angry HD guy look to one who got caught in the rain.
                    Cruiser poseurs extraordinaire.

Comment

I think it's hilarious that some people assume that just because they're on a bike, that other riders would automatically find them interesting. Maybe you're being ignored because the guy simply didn't find you interesting, instead of because of the bike you're riding. Funny story, though. A friend and his wife were out on his GW and came up to a group waiting for the ferry. He said it was 2 dozen of the hairiest, ugliest, smelliest bikers he'd ever seen, and for about 3 seconds he thought, "these Harley guys are gonna give me trouble for the bike I'm on". Then he saw they were all on Kawasaki V-twins. Said they were the nicest bunch of guys ever.

Comment

Shosw Showa fork guys won't talk to the Kabaya fork guys.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                          If you want to really see an angry HD guy look to one who got caught in the rain.
                          Cruiser poseurs extraordinaire.
                          I have been caught in the rain many, many times on my HD.

Comment

I got a surprise from a neighbor.. I asked him about his Yamaha V star.. He said most people don't know the difference and ask about his HD

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                              I have been caught in the rain many, many times on my HD.

Yeah but did you get angry?
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I don't knock Harley bikes since I've never ridden one (plus they're just not my style), but I have to give credit to the company for having one of the most successful corporate branding/marketing strategies in the world.

The sheer range of HD-branded merchandise that you can buy is amazing. Second only to Disney, maybe? Every so often I see a "Harley-Davidson Edition" Ford pickup truck... to me that just takes the cake as far as bizarre cross-branding agreements go.
                                Charles
                                --
                                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X