"The Timewaster" my '78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Timewaster" my '78 GS1000

Hey guys, I joined the site last year when I picked up this rough GS1000 for cheap. It needed a ton of work, but I got it just to keep myself entertained all winter.
    Just thought I'd start a build thread on it so show my progress. It'll be long term project as I'm working on it very slowly in my spare time.
    Here it is as I bought it.

Not pretty!! The tank was not the correct one, in fact it did not even fit. It was tied on with wire. I've managed to find a later model 750 tank that does fit, but the petcock is not in an ideal location.
    I got the bike running last year and took it for a short ride, just to make sure the transmission worked before I put any money into it. I am absolutely committed to NOT allowing this to turn into a complete money pit. Everything checked out so the project began.
    I pulled the motor to get a broken exhaust stud, clean everything up and paint it. I checked the valve clearances and they were all within spec. That really surprised me, as did the cleanliness of the inside of the motor.

I'm calling it "The Timewaster" so I thought I'd waste some time polishing the engine covers.

The engine is all done and ready to go back in....too bad the rest of the bike isn't quite ready. Here's how she's sitting right now.

I've been gathering bits and pieces along the way. I found a decent '79 tank, a 4 into 1 exhaust, some side covers, and a few other bits. I've got a ton of work to do but I'm in no rush. Those wheels are going to take more than a few hours.
    I'm not exactly sure where this project is heading. My vision of the end result is constantly changing. I'm leaning towards a sort of cafe type of thing. I'll try to update this thread as I progress. It may be slow.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2013, 02:05 PM.

Originally posted by shadow View Post
    Hey guys, I joined the site last year when I picked up this rough GS1000 for cheap. It needed a ton of work, but I got it just to keep myself entertained all winter.
    Just thought I'd start a build thread on it so show my progress. It'll be long term project as I'm working on it very slowly in my spare time.
    Here it is as I bought it.

Not pretty!! The tank was not the correct one, in fact it did not even fit. It was tied on with wire. I've managed to find a later model 750 tank that does fit, but the petcock is not in an ideal location.
    I got the bike running last year and took it for a short ride, just to make sure the transmission worked before I put any money into it. I am absolutely committed to NOT allowing this to turn into a complete money pit. Everything checked out so the project began.
    I pulled the motor to get a broken exhaust stud, clean everything up and paint it. I checked the valve clearances and they were all within spec. That really surprised me, as did the cleanliness of the inside of the motor.

I'm calling it "The Timewaster" so I thought I'd waste some time polishing the engine covers.

The engine is all done and ready to go back in....too bad the rest of the bike isn't quite ready. Here's how she's sitting right now.

I've been gathering bits and pieces along the way. I found a decent '79 tank, a 4 into 1 exhaust, some side covers, and a few other bits. I've got a ton of work to do but I'm in no rush. Those wheels are going to take more than a few hours.
    I'm not exactly sure where this project is heading. My vision of the end result is constantly changing. I'm leaning towards a sort of cafe type of thing. I'll try to update this thread as I progress. It may be slow.
    Nice job on the motor so far.

I'm a spoke wheel fan anyway.

I respect the low cost/high value method of the resto.

Will watch the progress.

Comment

The engine looks great. I like the black.
      The area around the plugs has some "patina". Did you change the top end?
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        The engine looks great. I like the black.
        The area around the plugs has some "patina". Did you change the top end?
        No, I haven't opened the engine at all. Once I got it to run, and It wasn't making any bizarre noises, or blowing big clouds of blue smoke, I figured I'd just leave well enough alone.
        I did paint the engine with the valve cover on, so the paint coverage on the top of the head is sketchy. I'm sure it won't be noticeable when the engine is back in the bike.
        I really have no idea of the history of the bike. The guy I bought it from hadn't had it for long didn't know or share alot about it. I think it spent alot of time outside, and I don't think it's been washed since the mid eighties.

Comment

Whatever direction you end up in the resto, i vote you keep the spokes.
          How do you like the FZ8? Yosh pipe? Quick?
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
            Whatever direction you end up in the resto, i vote you keep the spokes.
            How do you like the FZ8? Yosh pipe? Quick?
            The spokes are actually what attracted me to the bike. I'm really hoping they will clean up okay. If not, I may end up sandblasting and painting them.
            Loving the FZ8 and the Yoshimura. I just got it in December, but with this mild weather, I've managed to get a bit over 400km on it. Quarter way through the break-in!

Comment

Engine

Killer job on the motor.
              I'm doing a 1979 GS1000S and have to know, How did you get the case covers shined up like that?

Comment

Originally posted by beast794 View Post
                Killer job on the motor.
                I'm doing a 1979 GS1000S and have to know, How did you get the case covers shined up like that?
                And how did you get rid of the ridges around the decals on the state and ignition covers? File them by hand?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Killer job on the motor.
                  Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  And how did you get rid of the ridges around the decals on the state and ignition covers? File them by hand?
                  I started with an orbital palm sander on the ridges, then hand sanded with #150 grit, then #220, #400, #600, blah, blah, blah, finally finished hand sanding with #1500.
                  Then I spent a bunch of time on the buffing wheel with black polishing compound, then brown, then white.
                  When that was done, I hand polished with Mother's Aluminum Polish.
                  Yeah, it's kind of a sickness.

Comment

Is it an airborn sickness? Cough in my general direction. Looking good.

Comment

Killer job on the motor.
                      Hello,The serious polishers use a buffing wheel with various compounds.
                      You can get loads of info in the appearance section (use search function)

1978 GS1000C
                      1979 GS1000E
                      1980 GS1000E
                      2004 Roadstar

Comment

I thought I'd give a quick update on what I've been up to. After checking e-bay for cafe seats, and not finding the size/shape that I wanted, I decided to make my own. I started with some foam:

The first layer of fibreglass on the finished mold:

I've still got a crapload of work to do, before it's finished, but overall I'm pretty happy with the shape of the seat. After 4 layers of fibreglass:

Last edited by Guest; 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Dang I can't see the pics my friend. It sounds interesting though. You did a lovely job on the engine so I expect the rest will turn out just as nice.

Friend Gatekeeper in Mississauga and myself in Hamilton are about to start in on 2 Yammie FZ 750s (just for something a bit different). Mr. Gatekeeper did a fabulous frame off resto on his GS750 last year so if you need some inspiration have a look. maybe come the good weather you could come down and see it in person. It really is stunning.

Good luck with this one.

Cheers,
                          Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                            Dang I can't see the pics my friend. It sounds interesting though. You did a lovely job on the engine so I expect the rest will turn out just as nice.

Friend Gatekeeper in Mississauga and myself in Hamilton are about to start in on 2 Yammie FZ 750s (just for something a bit different). Mr. Gatekeeper did a fabulous frame off resto on his GS750 last year so if you need some inspiration have a look. maybe come the good weather you could come down and see it in person. It really is stunning.

Good luck with this one.

Cheers,
                            Spyug.
                            Sorry Spybug, I organized my Photobucket pictures into albums and it seems to have buggered any pictures I've posted anywhere. I think I've got the pictures fixed now.
                            Maybe I will get down when the weather gets nice. I always hate that drive around the west end of the lake....way too much traffic and alot of sub-standard driving. I probably will be going to my daughter's rowing regatta in St. Catharines in the spring. Maybe I'll try to stop in while I'm in the area.

Comment

Working...
                            X