Finished putting motor back together...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished putting motor back together...

Thanks to all of you that helped me out with those missing pieces a few threads back haha, but now I have an even bigger problem.

From the gasket kit I bought It seams almost every single gasket in the pack FAILED and I became a smoking oil spewing ticking time bomb on the maiden voyage today.

The upside, IT RUNS LOL

Here are some pictures for you guys... Yes I know, it's ugly I bought the thing as a bunch of parts so I made do with what I had.

I'm guessing you didn't use the OEM Suzuki gaskets?

Clean it up, see which exactly are leaking and which aren't, go from there.

Did you paint the gas tank yourself?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My friend did it, cost me $100 and he is practicing haha. and literally every gasket on the bike is leaking. Not even joking. I put it up on craigslist for $1200 i have $1500 and don't want to invest anymore into it

and they were the OEM gaskets thats why im puzzled. Everything was torqued down to the manual's specs too.

Comment

Wow! thats a serious amount of oil, that amount looks like its pumping from pressure were all the O'rings replaced in the head?
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Hi babes.
          Hmmm... This sounds very wrong...
          *Maybe he replaced the gaskets but didnt clean all the old bits off the face.ov the metal first... D'oh!
          *Maybe he didnt fit the cylinder block stud orings... Double D'oh!!
          *Maybe he set the torque wrench right... Triple D'oh!!!
          You paid for this?
          ..... ****Quadruple D'oh!!!!
          Id take it back and get him to "practice" til he gets it right!

I think you probably could have.done better yourself...

Good luck.
          Xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Seana23 View Post
            Hi babes.
            Hmmm... This sounds very wrong...
            *Maybe he replaced the gaskets but didnt clean all the old bits off the face.ov the metal first... D'oh!
            *Maybe he didnt fit the cylinder block stud orings... Double D'oh!!
            *Maybe he set the torque wrench right... Triple D'oh!!!
            You paid for this?
            ..... ****Quadruple D'oh!!!!
            Id take it back and get him to "practice" til he gets it right!

I think you probably could have.done better yourself...

Good luck.
            Xxx
            you are talking about the tank and it's paint job right.....his friend did that

I kinda like it....actually

the gasket work seems the OP did that on his own.....

Comment

I'm betting on a crankcase ventilation problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
                I'm betting on a crankcase ventilation problem.
                Yes, that does sound likely. For all of the gaskets to leak there must be pressure in there.

To the OP, what have you done with the breather system?

Comment

The motor reassembly was done myself, yes I'm learning. I've done top ends and all but never a bottom end tear down. There were no o-rings in the pack except for the gear position sensor and the oil dip stick.

I removed all old gaskets and cleaned the old surfaces before mating and torquing. I followed all the FSM torque specs and everything.

Ebay isn't really a good source for the gasket kit... where do you guys get them?

All labor was done by me. The only thing I've payed for is parts and getting the gas tank painted.

I'm thinking crank case breathing problem or... the oil seems to be separating like there is water in it. It was sitting in my garage for a while maybe it absorbed humidity from the Florida air?

These two things make sense of why ALL gaskets failed at the same time once the bike warmed up. If the water cause it im lucky it blew the gaskets and didn't crack anything...

The crank breather out the top of the motor has been unmodified. the only difference was that it was not connected to the airbox at the time of detonation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigthang View Post

The crank breather out the top of the motor has been unmodified. the only difference was that it was not connected to the airbox at the time of detonation.
                    Any chance the air hole in the breather gasket wasn't punched out properly?
                    Maybe the hose is kinked or blocked?

Comment

The breather cover gasket is easy to put in backwards.

Comment

you could get some idea of crankcase pressure by taking off the oil filler and feeling with your hand over the hole.
                        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

There shouldn't really be any pressure, just pulses...

Comment

well, i have it on the workbench on it's way down to splitting the case again and re-sealing it. Just searching the internet for a few gaskets/orings.

Any recommendations to make sure it goes together fine this time?

Comment

Did you check the breather stuff?

Comment

Working...
                              X