No announcement yet.

Finished putting motor back together...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crikey why not check the breather stuff first?

Comment

The breather wasn't clogged at all. When I blew into it the air was free-flowing, plus everything needs to be resealed it literally blew all the gaskets.

Comment

Does the inside of the engine smell like gasoline? You said the oil was separating out. Maybe a leaky petcock? Was it overfilled with oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Pigthang View Post
          The breather wasn't clogged at all. When I blew into it the air was free-flowing, plus everything needs to be resealed it literally blew all the gaskets.
          There should not be any pressure in there to blow anything.

Gaskets like these are not meant to withstand any pressure at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

its a good thing i took it down anyways. The cylinders got a nice glaze on them during the test run i think one of the oil passages may have been clogged up pretty good. I ordered new valve seals, piston rings and an oil filter.

I really kinda like this bike even though it's old and small haha. I was planning on selling it to begin with which is why I didn't want to invest money into it but for $150 more i can replace everything in the motor and have a really good running bike... and since the frame is basically empty I may paint the frame and swing arm while its apart.

Originally posted by Roger P. View Post
            Does the inside of the engine smell like gasoline? You said the oil was separating out. Maybe a leaky petcock? Was it overfilled with oil?
            The petcock is literally brand new and is working flawlessly otherwise i wouldnt be able to store the tank on a shelf like it is now.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

One thing i do know?if i put that kinda money into something,i finish it rather than take a loss.And then i know i have a reliable whatever it may be.
              I just put 2500 bux into a truck then totaled it,I am straightening the frame and replacing body parts,it is a solid truck other than wrecking it,but 50 hrs labor and all that cash,no way would i scrap it and take that kinda loss.only 600 bux more and another 40 hrs labor haha.
              Please don't give up.That bike will be very dependable,Gaskets that new can be reused,take it apart n see where u went wrong and just fix it,it's only time.And the best way to learn is from making mistakes,because mistakes like this will never happen twice,i know mine won't.I miss my truck!!!!!
              You'll get it right,with all the knowledge here.Your in good hands
              Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

thanks for the moral boost haha. Yeah I decided to keep it. The only reason i was going to dip was because I was going to try and Sell it for a profit since I already have an old Harley that is my daily rider. (Figured i'd learn about overhead cams) lol bought the bike for $300 in really bad shape.

Comment

Working...
                X