No announcement yet.

Gs500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoon. Had to look that one up. Why did they crack down so hard?

Comment

I'd hardly call ya a Revhead, Its only a weekend thing and only happens once really for tuning.

Just have to find someone will a good road and permission to use it.

I can't go WOT yet, at least not till I'm confident in the bottom end and new top end..

Checked the valves, What a pain that was.. Book says either put the lobes up or pointing away from the center. Well one way is ok and the other is tight on one lobe. On another its the oposite.

On one of them its less than the minimum spec but not touching the shim but put the lobe in the other position and its great :P

No idea what the hell is up with that but I have a feeling that I'm good for now to run it,, Might swap out the cam's later on to see the difference.

Had this weird scraping noise that I couldn't figure out. Turns out that the ignition cover I used didn't have the hole in the center so the bolt would hit and scratch the cover when ever the crank shifted a bit. So I added a gasket like the 400's have to the cover and that fixed that.

Turns out I have some cam walk. Nothing to care about though. The other cam's were the ones that needed the spacers.

Had the bike all apart outside and just got it put together seconds before the sky fell :P Got lucky there :P
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
        Hoon. Had to look that one up. Why did they crack down so hard?
        Because the law's an ass... over here they like to legislate for the minority, so that way everyone gets screwed evenly. There's one particular copper who trawls a very popular motorcycling haven near here, and he will pull you over for the most minor issue whatsoever and book you for everything he can. He has had numerous complaints lodged against him but noone's ever had one stick... I avoid that particular area on the weekends for just that reason.

Anyway, basically because a minority have no sense of responsibility, they assume noone does, and therefore have decided that certain behaviour will get you labelled a "hoon" and you will have your vehicle confiscated.

I did however give the mixture screws another quarter turn lean today and she's much better again...

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
        I'd hardly call ya a Revhead, Its only a weekend thing and only happens once really for tuning.

Just have to find someone will a good road and permission to use it.

I can't go WOT yet, at least not till I'm confident in the bottom end and new top end..

Checked the valves, What a pain that was.. Book says either put the lobes up or pointing away from the center. Well one way is ok and the other is tight on one lobe. On another its the oposite.

On one of them its less than the minimum spec but not touching the shim but put the lobe in the other position and its great :P

No idea what the hell is up with that but I have a feeling that I'm good for now to run it,, Might swap out the cam's later on to see the difference.

Had this weird scraping noise that I couldn't figure out. Turns out that the ignition cover I used didn't have the hole in the center so the bolt would hit and scratch the cover when ever the crank shifted a bit. So I added a gasket like the 400's have to the cover and that fixed that.

Turns out I have some cam walk. Nothing to care about though. The other cam's were the ones that needed the spacers.

Had the bike all apart outside and just got it put together seconds before the sky fell :P Got lucky there :P
        I find a similar thing with my valves... in fact the service before last I was convinced I was going to have to order another shim until I triple checked it, and then it had plenty of clearance... and I doubled checked it and all good...

I think if you are measuring one lobe while the other lobe is pushing down on its valve, it causes the one you are measuring to measure small. That's my theory at the present time anyway and I hope to prove/disprove it next service... My guess is the 4 cylinders don't see this behaviour because they only have 1 in 4 pressing down, so the effect on the other 3 would be much less. On ours with only 2, I imagine the leverage would be much more noticeable.

It's just a theory though...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          I did however give the mixture screws another quarter turn lean today and she's much better again...
          That is excellent news. Sounds like you are pretty much there.

Comment

Yup I reckon... I need to get about 15 minutes spare to give your method a final go over them to be sure but I'm pretty happy at the moment.

Idle has been a bit funny and if I spend too much time in the real low throttle openings in traffic I get some pops through the carbs and an occasional stall... that's the stuff I'm trying to dial out now and am finally getting some success.

sigpic

Comment

Swaped in the 142.5's and did a long run.

One thing i notice is that when cruising and wanting to go slightly faster, twisting the throttle a bit just makes more noise but not much want to increase in RPM quickly. It eventually goes faster if I hold it but give it a bit more throttle and it smooths out and starts pulling better.

Kind of feels like its lugging and then smooths out.

I'm thinking the mid-range is rich caused by me removing all the restrictors.

Seems like giving it up to 3/4 throttle is where I'm noticing everything.

The last 1/4 feels great and its nice and smooth.

I'm comfortable pushing the bike now so Plug chops soon.

I'll see if I can do video. Have to rig something up.
              Stephen.
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

That does sound like something dodgy on the needle...

Not sure which thread I said this in now (seems to be a lot of 450/500 jetting threads at the moment) but I think with the stock needles I'm always going to be compromising.

From what I've seen around the place and my experimenting, I can either jet for real nice at WOT on the mains or I can just for a nice midrange on the needle.

I'm opting for midrange as I really don't hit WOT that often... and I think tomorrow I'm going to try my mixture screws another quarter turn lean, still getting occasional pops through the carbs when sitting at the lights in traffic once she's nice and warm. Absolutely fine when cold, so definitely richness there...

sigpic

Comment

I found a good combination that seems to have fixed quite a bit of the rev range.

I installed the two restrictors again and left the 142.5 main jets. That's pretty close to the default Dyno jet settings. The 142.5's are almost the same ID as the 134 DJ jets.

The mid range is much smoother, less noise and less carb howl.
                  Also the bottom end is back to normal instead of on and off.
                  I still have to do another plug chop to see what its really like but it feels very smooth and easy to drive. I wouldn't hesitate taking it for a long trip now.

Still have a top end knock and I'm sure its the intake cam slapping left to right. I need like a 10 thou or less shim to stop it completely.
                  Its only when hot and only when one spot on the cam chain comes around seems like.

There is one problem though. If cruising at any RPM or TP, and I open the throttle fully it will hiccup and pop for a second and clear out. After that I can come on and off the throttle and it doesn't do it. Its just the first time. I'm not sure why.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the floats have o-rings that hold the assembly up. One side is loose and I'm guessing its leaking.

Also when starting it cold it seems like one side is running and the other is dragging along for a little bit until it runs for a minute.
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

Sounds like she's a lot better, good work!

Not sure on your pop/hiccup though... I get that on mine occasionally but only at idle sometimes if I blip the throttle and it will pop through the carbs and stumble a bit... occasionally it will stall as well. Not sure what that is...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      Sounds like she's a lot better, good work!

Not sure on your pop/hiccup though... I get that on mine occasionally but only at idle sometimes if I blip the throttle and it will pop through the carbs and stumble a bit... occasionally it will stall as well. Not sure what that is...
                      Sounds rich, When I had the restrictors out and the 150's installed it would backfire sometimes through the carbs. The jets didn't change much but I'd bet with your springs being shorter that its getting a small shot of fuel just when your open the carbs up a bit and then it settles down.

I think my hickup might be fouled plugs.
                      Stephen.
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

You could be right, rich was the first thing came to mind. I so need to spend the time to do George's (Koolaid Kid) mixture screw setting!

Let us know when you work out what it is, at least fouled plugs should be easily resolved...

sigpic

Comment

This thing actually responds to choke instead of just dying out like the bs34's.

While driving I can apply choke and get a response. It just makes more noise but doesn't seem to be any quicker. Kind of feels like when i had the restrictors out.

The wot stumble feels like its fighting through an air bubble, but fouled plugs are my first guess. its always there the first time and then after that it might happen once more and never again until the bike sits for a day.
                          Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

I've noticed the bike getting smoother and easyer to drive as it wears in again.

Seems easy to hit redline with it.
                            I have the rev limiter set for 11000. I have a feeling that it would keep pulling strong past that but its nice to be safe.

Seems like if i'm WOT and it hits the rev limiter it won't bounce off of it. It seems to take a second for the momentum to decrease before kicking in again. Its as if the engine was still pulling instead of running out of steam.
                            Stephen.
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

Nice... redline on the 450 is 9500 so doesn't surprise me the 500 has a bit more in her than that...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X