No announcement yet.

Gs500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know about the R/R being improved (mind you they had to do something, right?) but the stator yeah that's a definite. I noticed when I got my Electrex World one that the part numbers were the same for all the 450's and 500's which was good to know.

That's very interesting with the advance curve too, I can't see why that wouldn't work on the 450... close enough for sure! Worst case there I can see is maybe losing a tiny little bit of oomph down low, but it all depends on the actual curve as to whether it would make a noticeable difference or not.

You've intrigued me with the throttle position sensor though... that's one thing I'd love to have on my 450 so I really could go to town with a wideband setup for tuning... but that's way out of budget right now.

Do you see an easy way to mount the sensor on the newer carbs or is there already provision for it?
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      I didn't know about the R/R being improved (mind you they had to do something, right?) but the stator yeah that's a definite. I noticed when I got my Electrex World one that the part numbers were the same for all the 450's and 500's which was good to know.

That's very interesting with the advance curve too, I can't see why that wouldn't work on the 450... close enough for sure! Worst case there I can see is maybe losing a tiny little bit of oomph down low, but it all depends on the actual curve as to whether it would make a noticeable difference or not.

You've intrigued me with the throttle position sensor though... that's one thing I'd love to have on my 450 so I really could go to town with a wideband setup for tuning... but that's way out of budget right now.

Do you see an easy way to mount the sensor on the newer carbs or is there already provision for it?
      Pete, when we did the street fighter last winter I noticed that the "04 carbs have a throttle position sensor on them all ready.

Mekanix; Have you checked out the build that oldpara and myself did this last winter. It Is in Oldpara's titled First build GS500 commuter Street fighter. I just looked it is still here on the site but some of the pics are missing Dana must of moved them.
      Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Aaaah that's very interesting to know! Will stick that in the back of my mind for future reference if I get antsy about doing that in the future... mustn't compromise the budget for the shed, Ducati, and Katana though...

sigpic

Comment

Aaaah that's very interesting to know! Will stick that in the back of my mind for future reference if I get antsy about doing that in the future... mustn't compromise the budget for the shed, Ducati, and Katana though...
          How is your Ducati project coming along? I have a Duc project that I need to get going on also but finding the parts has been a stumbling block for me. I have a 1958 "98 Tourismo".
          I found the motor at a flea market about 20years ago , it had been cut out of the frame and attached to a blueberry winnower. Then about 3 years ago I found a frame with 1 fork leg, got a tank this past fall, have exhaust ,hand controls ect but still looking for wheels , brakes, tin's and things
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Aaah cool, that would be most interesting! My little Duc is not going anywhere at the moment unfortunately and probably won't be until May or June at this rate... that will all change when I get the shed built and this weather hasn't been helping at all.

You need to start an "other" thread for it so we can see

sigpic

Comment

Aaah cool, that would be most interesting! My little Duc is not going anywhere at the moment unfortunately and probably won't be until May or June at this rate... that will all change when I get the shed built and this weather hasn't been helping at all.

You need to start an "other" thread for it so we can see
              Yes I will when I actually start still trying to gather pieces Are there any of this model on your side of the pond? very few here.Some of the Bronco parts are the same but they are limited also.
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Another thng I just noticed is that the cams have shims (washers) at the end of the cams to stop cam walk.

The cam dimensions are the same for the bearing journals as the 400-500 so this is another thing that the 400's and 450's can use.

Download the gs500 manual. Lots of good stuff !

Seems like they fixed all the problems when they built that engine.
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Aaaah now that is very interesting! I don't seem to have cam walk on mine but the father of the girlfriend I was with when I bought mine had a GS450 also and his most definitely had the cam walk.

I wonder if the cams are any "hotter" than the 450 items? Might make an interesting upgrade if so... although I suspect not...

I will have to get me that manual...

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                  Yes I will when I actually start still trying to gather pieces Are there any of this model on your side of the pond? very few here.Some of the Bronco parts are the same but they are limited also.
                  Cool, looking forward to it! I haven't looked much yet but there is definitely a place down south (Road and Race) that have some stuff.

Is it a pushrod motor? If so, get on the Yahoo Groups for Ducati pushrod singles... they know their stuff!

Sorry Mekanix, I'll stop thread jacking now too

sigpic

Comment

It also says in the manual what the lift is. I think I read .330"
                    Stephen.
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

I don't recall if my 450 manual has that in it or not but I'll have to look...

sigpic

Comment

It gives the lobe height. Just subtract the size of the bearing journal.
                        Stephen.
                        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                        GS twin wiki

Comment

Cool, I have to dig out the correct factory carb spec's soon so I'll have to have a peek at the lobe height at the same time...

sigpic

Comment

I took a look yesterday and if i got it right, the 500 has less lift than the 450.

A little more progress made on the bike today.

Cleaned quite a bit of things, found more broken things

Got a box of parts off of kijiji.

Including a complete spare head
                            Gaskets
                            complete wiring harness
                            AND a RR with a sense wire from a cb450 It says something like Sh532. I can't quite make it out
                            Got a center stand
                            Full stock exhaust system. Mine was completely shot
                            clutch perch
                            master cylinder
                            Various bits and pieces that will help

I was planning on getting the engine out and stripping down the frame to nothing but the one long front bolt will not move. So I'm drilling it out and then removing the engine and getting it ready for a top end refresh.

Hopefully all the bits are going to the powdercoat this weekend

there's a big list now :P

Ordered new parts today from the local dealer. Mostly pieces I couldn't get on E-bay.
                            Guy messed up and doubled my order I just noticed now !

I need an idea for turn signals Looking on E-bay I haven't found anything that caught my eye. But I want something Very bright and dual element so they can double as running lights.
                            Last edited by Mekanix; 01-26-2013, 05:04 AM.
                            Stephen.
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

Signed up!

Pete gave me the heads up about this thread. Good stuff going on here Mekanix!

Comment

Sounds like you're progressing well on the collection! Good stuff.

As for the R/R, if it's a SH532, then good deal, that's a nice upgrade for your R/R as I've no doubt you're aware

Be keen to see the pic's of the powdercoating for sure.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X