No brake light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
    Yes I did test the volt meter and it shows about 12.5 volts on the batteries of both bikes.

And 9 volts at brake light.. on both bikes.
    Humm. No explanation for that, especailly on the 1100G. SHould be pretty much battery voltage. Loosing it somewhere, wiring to ignition switch, igition swtich, fuse -- somewhere along the wiring.
    Well, unless problem is in the ground wire.

Maybe not a complete answer, but Next time, when ever measuring voltage between A wire and a ground wire, and if you find something that is not quite right; Problem could be either with THE wire or with the ground wire. One thing you could do is also try measuring between THE wire and Frame ground (or battery-), if that is a different voltage than before, then problem is the ground wire is not well grounded. And to further verify, also measure between the ground wire and frame ground(or batt-) with power on, should be zero volts, if not, then have proved that the ground wire is not grounded well.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

And 9 volts at brake light.. on both bikes.
      Humm. No explanation for that, especailly on the 1100G. SHould be pretty much battery voltage. Loosing it somewhere, wiring to ignition switch, igition swtich, fuse -- somewhere along the wiring.
      Well, unless problem is in the ground wire.

Maybe not a complete answer, but Next time, when ever measuring voltage between A wire and a ground wire, and if you find something that is not quite right; Problem could be either with THE wire or with the ground wire. One thing you could do is also try measuring between THE wire and Frame ground (or battery-), if that is a different voltage than before, then problem is the ground wire is not well grounded. And to further verify, also measure between the ground wire and frame ground(or batt-) with power on, should be zero volts, if not, then have proved that the ground wire is not grounded well.

Dave

I will check against the frame again because I cannot remember doing so on both bikes to get a baseline.

More good info, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        do you have this and are they in good condition

Guess what? I got none of those parts for the front switch, not even wire lead is there. Darn it! WTF

Comment

Apparently I have something custom here along with the aftermarket brake line, there is an electrical lead I assume is the switch. There is are no parts in the OEM switch cavity all

Comment

It appears Tom used a hydraulic brake light switch
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I had issues with mine due to dirt and wear... they can be salvaged.
              cean it up with a tooth brush and tooth paste, then rinse and dry. You can push the contacts to expose a little more to the wiper side but go easy and support the plastic so it does not crack. I unsoldered the connections to make it easier.

or loose it and get the banjo bolt switch (more reliable)

Last edited by mvalenti; 01-27-2013, 05:14 PM.
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic
              1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Yep, he used the banjo bolt style on that front brake. I like the idea of my banjo bolt switch for the rear brake - no fiddling around to get it just right. The Kawasaki MC I'm using has the switch built into the housing so I don't need the bolt for it so it's the best of both worlds I think.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  Yep, he used the banjo bolt style on that front brake. I like the idea of my banjo bolt switch for the rear brake - no fiddling around to get it just right. The Kawasaki MC I'm using has the switch built into the housing so I don't need the bolt for it so it's the best of both worlds I think.
                  Well it would appear this here hydraulic banjo switch has done plucked it's last tune: It's dead Jim!

When tested I do not have continuity across the switch wires when I squeeze the hand brake. When I cross the two leads for the switch the brake light comes on. Huzzah!

Also I figured out the problem with the rear brake switch was at the pedal switch or more specifically its wire-spring(?), which I think must have stretched over the last 33 years because this needed adjustment, I just turned the whole switch in its threads until the brake light came on when moving the pedal about 3/4 inch. It is now at the very end of adjustment travel but it is working.

So if I was to trouble shoot this all over again, I would probably pull the headlamp and try shorting the leads. And for the rear wheel brake switch I would pull on the wire-spring.

Next I'll be asking where to get a new hydraulic banjo switch.

thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by littleroot View Post
                    Next I'll be asking where to get a new hydraulic banjo switch.
                    Z1 sells them....like you couldn't have guessed already
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                      Z1 sells them....like you couldn't have guessed already
                      Yep, calling them tomorrow! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Bob,
                        First, let me say THanks for representing the GSR so well with TomMLC.
                        Hey Redman, in my haste I missed this thank you note, which was nice of you.

Well, whatever I could do for Tom and the fantastic people here I feel is nothing compared to all the help and friendship I have received. I am not much of a mechanic at all, I usually break something trying to repair something else. I just have to slow down and listen - 99% of the time the people here are right. And Tom represented the GSR very well, and maybe I learned from him.Lords knows I am still learning from him.

We met in June 2009 by him replying to my craigslist posting where I was asking, no, begging, for help with my 1982 GS1100GL. He always offered everything and anything in his garage to help me get going again. I never met anyone like him.

Unfortunately I never got to know Tom as well I wish I had. I was just lucky enough to live very close to him, 10 miles away. Up until the last month we had only been together maybe 10 times in three years, and had a meal together maybe only twice, each time while out on a ride. We would call each other all the time to try to schedule a weekend ride, but it seldom worked out because he had his exercise class in the mornings and that is the only time free from the family I get to ride. I think we only went riding maybe five or six times. I sure do regret not spending more time with him because easily he was my best friend in the 10 years I've lived in San Jose.

Thanks again for your note and you and everybody here let me know if there is anything I can do for any of you. I am looking forward to meeting a few of his friends at the service next Friday Feb 8.

-Bob

Comment

Working...
                        X