Pin Striping virgin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin Striping virgin!

My buddy and I are repainting out bikes in the Gulf Racing colors from the '76 Ford GT. There was blue pin stripes, but I have never done this before, and was looking for advice and tips.
    Thanks guys,
    Matt W.

do you have a pin striping brush already? i would say lots of practice and keep the brush loaded.

Comment

oh and lay down some masking tape as a guide and go along the edge of it.

Comment

They actually have pin striping with a sticky back that comes in a roll at the local auto paint store. There are some decent colors available. Have you ever used this stuff?
        thanks,
        Matt W.

Here is a pick of the paint sceme so far... Gulf GT racing colors from the late 70's.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM. Reason: update for the paint job

Comment

I'm pretty sure you'll need to shoot a handful of layers of clear coat over that sticky back type.

Comment

I have never done pinstriping before, but from what I understand..you use a spray bottle and get the tank misted. Then you can slide the sticky pinstripes around and position it. Then you squeegee them down and they stick in place. Then you let it dry for a day and then you can clear over them.

Larry, does this sound somwhat accurate?
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I thought you meant proper old school pin striping with a brush and paint as Mad Mark did...

Comment

I did this striping with paint and a brush Just mask off paint on ! now if you were to use the vinyl striping tape cut desired length a little longer probably 10" longer peal backing paper off whole piece, place at beginning area to be striped hold tape at other end pull it straight and place it down if it is where you want it rub it down, cut the excess with a razor blade . now there is a clear protective cover over the top of the stripe if you were to scrape the edge it comes off easily. go very easy when applying the clear coat as it may cause the stripe to distort so a couple very thin coats with the clear at first then you can bury it

ant
                Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

That tank looks great ant, thanks for the tips on pinstripping.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I tried striping by hand,I'm unmotivated to do the practice required.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      That tank looks great ant, thanks for the tips on pinstripping.
                      your welcome !

Comment

I have often wondered how hard it is to use the decals like the ones I sent to Larry when he did my tanks. They are precut and the sticky background type. It would seem that they would basically lay themselves much like in unrolling a carpet..but I may be way off on that.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          I have often wondered how hard it is to use the decals like the ones I sent to Larry when he did my tanks. They are precut and the sticky background type. It would seem that they would basically lay themselves much like in unrolling a carpet..but I may be way off on that.
                          i paint RC car bodies and use thin tape the same as pin stiping tape. its pretty easy but if its vinyl its easy to stretch out and kind of tricky to get straight, but obviously its way easier on a large surface like a motorcycle tank.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                            I tried striping by hand,I'm unmotivated to do the practice required.
                            The same applies to me. I even paid for lessons and bought a bunch of books on it. The only thing I got out of it was an appreciation for it when its done well. I guess its like anything, practice makes perfect. Personally, I'd stick with tape. (Pun intended)
                            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Hey chuck

I have done vinyl tank stickers a few times. I dont know if its the right way or not but it worked really well for me. I placed a piece of masking tape on the tank so i would have a guide as to where to put the sticker.
                              I then lightly sprayed the tank with Windex, I was told dish soapy water in a spray bottle works well also I then removed the paper from the back side of the sticker placed on the tank positioned it correctly and rubber squeegeed the excess Windex out waited a few seconds and then removed the backing paper and squeegeed any small bubbles out ( if there was any ) My dads buddy that does vinyl for a living just places them on dry

Comment

Working...
                              X