Rust Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust Treatment

Has anyone had experience with a product called Rust Doctor.
    Rust Doctor allows you to coat rusty metal and then topcoat with any kind of paint without the need to sand or grind to bare metal. This unique product chemically converts the rust to black magnetite, which creates a protective layer that keeps the base metal from rusting.

I have a very rusty seat pan on my 1980 GS1000S and am concerned if I removed all the rust I would not have enough metal left in some areas and wondered if something like this would work.

Any other options?
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

I have used a 3M product I got from walmart that was called rust replacer. Seems like it does the same thing, you clean up the rust a little bit and paint on the stuff and it turns black then you can paint over it. I fixed a spot on my tank with it. It was a spot where the paint had chipped off from a huge dent in the tank from a PO. I didn't bother to paint but I used some clearcoat touch up paint on it after the recommended drying time.

I did that on the tank in the summer when it was nice warm dry weather and it turned out very good.

I also tried to do some spots with it this winter in a heated garage (55 ish degrees F) on the frame of a different bike. I think I did all the same prep work but it just crackled and crumbled like it dried too fast. I attribute that failure to the colder temp. So I think the idea of the stuff works pretty good as long as you have warm enough temp and humidity for it to cure properly.

Comment

Any idea if it would be okay to use for an exhaust? I would be skeptical because when dried, it leaves a latex primer. However, I could be wrong. Just wondering since this would be a perfect application for my rusty exhaust.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

That stuff is better than nothing, but I think you would be better off stripping as much rust as possible with phosphoric acid or media blasting, followed by sealing with POR-15 rust sealer paint. The POR-15 paint is designed to seal over rust and deny it any oxygen. Works well but it's always best to remove rust, not just seal over it or try to convert it into something else.
        Last edited by Nessism; 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've wondered if sealing with fiberglass resin would be an effective and relatively inexpensive treatment. It would certainly prevent any moisture or oxygen from getting to the surface.
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

After sandblasting, my seat pan was left with lots of little holes. I purchased one of those 3M fiberglass mat kits from Walmart. It was very easy to use & I feel it strengthened my seat pan considerably.
            80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

If you want to remove the rust with no danger of removing good metal then use electrolysis. It is easy to set up and works really well. Once you get rid of the rust you can patch any holes with metal or fiberglass and then paint it with a good rust preventative paint.

Comment

A couple of options

For serious work ($$$ range but long term solution)

I have used USC All Metal from Eastwood on 2-3 seat pans with great sucess. I had the pan blasted (crashed walnuts) as I wanted a clean surface on both sides. The product has the following properties:

"Ideal for repairing damaged or rotted-out sections of metal. Offers filing and sanding properties similar to lead, without the hazard. Finishes to a smooth finish and seals out moisture"

Aluminum-based filler can be drilledor tapped; rustproof, waterproof

I also swear by Evaporust -- I have a 20L drum at home and amazed how many items I have restored back to new condition after soaking (cannot spray) for only 1 day. This will not damage plastic or chrome/paint etc. I have soaked complete exhaust pipes (completely removed all rust from header pipes) in this stuff for a week and they look like new after minimal cleaning. This stuff is not toxic and cleans up in water. I leave a coating on the parts if I store (drain through a mesh) to stop flash rusting)

Comment

Originally posted by mskiwi View Post

I have used USC All Metal from Eastwood on 2-3 seat pans with great sucess. I had the pan blasted (crashed walnuts) as I wanted a clean surface on both sides. The product has the following properties:

"Ideal for repairing damaged or rotted-out sections of metal. Offers filing and sanding properties similar to lead, without the hazard. Finishes to a smooth finish and seals out moisture"

I also swear by Evaporust -- I have a 20L drum at home and amazed how many items I have restored back to new condition after soaking (cannot spray) for only 1 day. This will not damage plastic or chrome/paint etc. I have soaked complete exhaust pipes (completely removed all rust from header pipes) in this stuff for a week and they look like new after minimal cleaning. This stuff is not toxic and cleans up in water. I leave a coating on the parts if I store (drain through a mesh) to stop flash rusting)

http://www.evaporust.com/
                  Thanks for that, I will check those products out, man I am loving this site and the awesome help offered by the members.

Thank you.
                  2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                  2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                  1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                  2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                  1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                  1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                  1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                  Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Por-15

How much POR-15 would I use for my 81 GS750l tank? I'm on their website. 8oz, pint, quart, gallon?

Comment

Originally posted by mskiwi View Post

http://www.evaporust.com/
                      20 litres???? up here the largest container I've seen in just 950mls and it cost over $10.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                        20 litres???? up here the largest container I've seen in just 950mls and it cost over $10.
                        Free Shipping in the Lower 48...

5 USgal 18.92 Litres.. $99

Comment

Not sure about your application, but evaporate-rust works great on anything I've ever applied it to. For a seat pan I gues you could spray it on and keep it wet, keep wiping the loosened rust away. No worries about pinholes from media blasting. Non-toxic too.

Comment

How much POR-15 would I use for my 81 GS750l tank? I'm on their website. 8oz, pint, quart, gallon?
                            Well it just so happens that I've wandered in from the garage giving my GS1000's tank the POR15 treatment... and I can report that the 8oz tin does the job no worries at all.

Comment

Working...
                            X