Rigged Ignition system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rigged Ignition system

I recently bought this beauty for 500 bucks based on the fact the motor turns over and most of the parts are there. I WAS looking for a project bike, after all i need something to do over the winter.

The problem I have now is that after getting the carb and fuel system ready i inspected the electrical system to find that they spliced in some low grade speaker wire to a coil pack that looks like it may be for a small car or something. there's no way its the one for this bike. I looked up the Price for the Dynas and I'm about to order it but i need to know what wires/connectors coming off of it are gonna look like, are they just butt splices like everything else? if you look at the attached pictures you'll notice they spliced in the connector to that one from what ever they got it from I guess.

What else do you think they could of messed up by doing this.

I recently ordered the Clymer for this bike but its not here yet, Please help.

Check out BassCliff's site and see if the service manual for your bike is there (it probably is): http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Can't see too well, there are some cars that have a wasted spark system.. or maybe from a twin plug system..

Comment

Not much to a Dyna S. Get a clean source of 12V, Hit one side of the each coil and the red wire from the S with that. Run the white and black from the S to their respective coils. Trash that nonsense thats on there and fire it up. You may have to play with the advance a little. Check bikecliff's site, there is a tutorial there

Comment

Originally posted by matt1100 View Post
          Not much to a Dyna S. Get a clean source of 12V, Hit one side of the each coil and the red wire from the S with that. Run the white and black from the S to their respective coils. Trash that nonsense thats on there and fire it up. You may have to play with the advance a little. Check bikecliff's site, there is a tutorial there

Thanks now all i got to do is get the right ohm the Z1 site has a 3.0 ohm listed but for some reason the manual say 2 - 6.0 ohm is that total?

Comment

Get the Dyna S with the green 3ohm coils.
            I want to see where those yellow plug wires are going. I can't see the coils to tell you what they could be.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I will post a better picture this weekend once I get it off the bike thanks for the advice im gonna go ahead and order those tonight.

Comment

Here it is

I had to break the posts off to get it out without taking the breather cover off, which is what is looks like they did. I looked up the Part number and it didn't come up as a specific model for anything it literally just said "Automotive coil pack"

Why did they think this was gonna work?

Comment

LOL. Don't think I ever saw anyone do something that boneheaded.
                  Looks like you need to replace the the ignition system and be on your way.
                  Stock points system on the 79 used 5 Ohm coils, but the Dyna-S uses 3 Ohm coils.
                  Be sure and get some good wires, like the Dyna wires.

Comment

I got the Dyna-s coils, plug wires, and wire coming in the mail tomorrow. After calling Dyna I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to replace anything else before the coils, is there something else I have to replace to make it work with those coils? or maybe something known to go bad that i should just replace anyway?

Comment

Nope. The Dyna-S wires straight to the coils. Rip everything else out.

Comment

Working...
                      X