79 550 Cafe-"ish" Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a bit sine I've updated....

The basic function of the bike has been tested, and I think it is going in the right direction. I still have some tweaks to go....ie. cartridge emulators and figure out a better headlight solution. (It's fine during the day, for visibility, but the light beam is not so good at night for seeing the road)

My first priority was to update the electrical system. It is, after all 35 years old, and a Suzuki to boot. That's two electrical strikes against, for anyone counting.

I Ditched the points for a DynaS:

Upgraded the Coils:

Added a relay to supply the coils and DynaS ignition directly from the battery:

Replaced the old shunt type reg/rec with a modern Series SCR type from a Polaris:

I did a static timing adjustment and was perplexed that I had to have the plate almost completely retarded to get it timed. Once I got it started and did a dynamic timing check it did need a little advancement, but not much! I still find it odd that the adjustment is so far to one extreme. I don't like any adjustments that are set at one end or the other. Maybe they figure that the user may want a bit more advance for performance, and they give you room to do that. It is unlikely that anyone would retard the timing from the factory setting. I dunno. That's my theory....and I'm stickin' to it! Regardless, it fires up and the timing is spot on,and the charging is strong with this one, Obi Wan.

Now I need another warm dry spell to road test, but Mr. Weatherman isn't cooperating!
    Last edited by 8ball; 06-04-2015, 10:23 PM.
    1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
    sigpic
    My GS550 Build

Comment

Since I broke my knee this winter, my riding season has not gotten off to a ....well, non-existent start. So instead of riding the GS to evaluate the front forks from the 82 GS and making changes in increments, I decided to go ahead and install emulators and the stiffer springs that were installed in the original forks, along with pre-load spacers to eliminate the air assist that the 82 forks had.

Then I went to put it together, and found on of the forks has a slight bend! AARRRRGH! I had checked them before, and hadn't noticed any bends, but this time when I put them on, the fork lowers were about 1/4" too close together to put the wheel back on. I loosened the pinch bolts on the tri[le clamps, one side at a time, and spun the forks in the clamps. Left side was straight, but sure enough, the right fork has a slight bend. CRAP!!!

I have a suspension guy locally that has the v-block and press set up to straighten it, but he is heading to Road Atlanta for the MotoAmerica races this weekend, since he is the K-Tech rep. He won't be back until next Wednesday, so I guess it'll have to wait. But since I have to disassemble the fork again, it'll give me the chance to take the pictures that I failed to do during the emulator install.........

sigpic
      My GS550 Build

Comment

very cool build n glad you've been updating it! hope your knee is doing better

Comment

I made a few adjustments. I've had some rough running cruising at less than 1/8 throttle (just off fully closed). The idle circuit looked rich....black sooty plugs when doing plug chops after running (intentionally) in the "sputter zone" for a couple miles. I had gone up one size on the #1 pilot jets (from 15 to 17), so I put the originals back in, synched the carbs and adjusted my pilot air and fuel screws. Now the plugs look much better at idle and after the "sputter zone" test....yes, still had a sputter. #1 cylinder was still running rich......another tweak of the air pilot screw and it seems better, now. I will need to take it for a test ride today, or tomorrow. I still need to remove the front end and take it down to Cycle Tech to straighten out the leg......

Synched up OK......before, 1 and 2 were at 40, while 3 and 4 were at 20

Last edited by 8ball; 06-02-2015, 12:19 PM.

sigpic
          My GS550 Build

Comment

Really nice work and nice bike
            I was thinking when is this going to go south and turn into a hatchet job but it didn't

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              Really nice work and nice bike
              I was thinking when is this going to go south and turn into a hatchet job but it didn't
              Thanks. My priorities have always been function first. I thought I wanted a bump stop styled tail, but honestly, the cafe style just doesn't fit the late 70's 4 cyl bikes, IMO. I like doing the subtle changes that most would not see, but those that do know what they are looking at, would pick up on.

sigpic
              My GS550 Build

Comment

The last carb adjustment seemed to solve my off throttle issues, on to that pesky bent fork leg. Front end removed....

Right leg disassembled:

As far as the emulator installation, these two 5/16" holes had to be drilled into the damping rod, and the existing hole enlarged to the same size:

Set up on my press, so I could see how bent the for was:

Reassembled the fork, and set the fluid to 140mm (15wt oil):

The slide on the scale is set to 150mm, - the 10mm showing on the bottom = 140mm

I also reduced the pre-load spacer from 20mm to 10mm because the front felt a little harsh. This brought my static sag from 23mm to 37mm.

All back together, again:

sigpic
                My GS550 Build

Comment

Look good bro!

Comment

Out playing, today. Carburation is much better, and the suspension is pretty close. I couldn't really throw it into the turns because of my knee. I can't get my left foot back enough to keep the ball of my foot on the peg, and I don't have the strength to hang off in the lefts. But I could push it enough to tell it doesn't seem to want to do anything weird, and the front and rear are working together, like they should.

Last edited by 8ball; 06-05-2015, 09:41 PM.

sigpic
                    My GS550 Build

Comment

thats a nice looking bike you have,.. that fork was really bent wasn't it?

Comment

Looks good.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

What did you do about the bent fork?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I guess I skipped that, didn't I? I took the fork tube to Jon Tyus at Cycle Tech Racing Suspensions and he straightened it out in about 20 minutes.

sigpic
                            My GS550 Build

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
                              I guess I skipped that, didn't I? I took the fork tube to Jon Tyus at Cycle Tech Racing Suspensions and he straightened it out in about 20 minutes.
                              Heat, clamps, banging?
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Heat, v-blocks, a press and a dial indicator.

sigpic
                                My GS550 Build

Comment

Working...
                                X