Hillbilly Valve Spring Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
    Any ideas on how to do this with the head installed if you just wanted to change the seals? The valves can be kept in place by stuffing rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, but how to secure the valve spring compressor to the frame?
    They way we used to do on car heads was bring the piston to the top. that way if the valve dropped the piston would stop it and you can still grab it to pull it back. As for depressing the valve spring we had a special pry bar for that. The pry bar locked on using the rocker arm stud using just a washer and nut. It then had a large flat type of washer welded to the pry bar that went over the spring cover/bucket with a decent hole in the middle.

Once you compressed the spring the valve retainer came up through the hole and you could remove it then. You might be able to come up with a version for the bike head. Just remember, the longer the handle on the pry bar, the better the leverage.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Any ideas on how to do this with the head installed if you just wanted to change the seals? The valves can be kept in place by stuffing rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, but how to secure the valve spring compressor to the frame?
      something that would bolt on to the head maybe? using the valve cover bolt holes....

a bit of rummaging through a scrap pile i bet you could find something.
      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
      82 gs1100L probably the next project
      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

There is an overhead spring compressor. I have one from ebay.

Comment

I've read that it can be done by pressuring up the cylinder with an airline. Guess you'd need a fairly high pressure. Sounds feasible, I'll try it next time I need new seals.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

I've read that it can be done by pressuring up the cylinder with an airline.
            The compressed air will hold the valve in place but you still need something to compress the spring so you can get the keeper installed. This is not a job I would look forward to doing with the head on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              The compressed air will hold the valve in place but you still need something to compress the spring so you can get the keeper installed. This is not a job I would look forward to doing with the head on the bike.
              No more complicated than making an ordinary redneck spring compressor?

Comment

I removed and replaced the valve stem seals on my KLR650 (same shim-over-bucket setup as a GS) with an air hold and this home made compressor device.

I used 40 psi to hold the valve up once I had the keepers off, and increased it to 60 psi while I was actually working on the valve. No scientific reason -- this just felt right. YMMV -- GS valves are a bit smaller, so you may want to use a bit more pressure.

I also put the piston at TDC so the valve wouldn't drop all the way out if I lost air pressure. I made sure to secure the crank VERY well so the engine couldn't rotate with the air pressure. You'd want to do the same with a GS; set it to TDC, do those cylinders (1 and 4), then rotate 180 degrees and do the others. Fortunately, a GS is easy to re-time when you rotate the engine with the camshafts out.

The angled bit with the hole bolts to one of the cam cap holes. To move from the intakes to the exhausts, I reversed the fittings on the lever.

I thought I would just use the PVC to get the shape right then re-create it with metal tubing, but as it turned out the PVC held up just fine.

I'm pretty sure something similar would work with a GS. It was a tight fit on the KLR, but it worked. Pulling the old valve stem seals was the hard part, since there was so little vertical clearance to get my puller (a modified pair of large needlenose pliers) in there.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  I removed and replaced the valve stem seals on my KLR650 (same shim-over-bucket setup as a GS) with an air hold and this home made compressor device.

I used 40 psi to hold the valve up once I had the keepers off, and increased it to 60 psi while I was actually working on the valve. No scientific reason -- this just felt right. YMMV -- GS valves are a bit smaller, so you may want to use a bit more pressure.

I also put the piston at TDC so the valve wouldn't drop all the way out if I lost air pressure. I made sure to secure the crank VERY well so the engine couldn't rotate with the air pressure. You'd want to do the same with a GS; set it to TDC, do those cylinders (1 and 4), then rotate 180 degrees and do the others. Fortunately, a GS is easy to re-time when you rotate the engine with the camshafts out.

The angled bit with the hole bolts to one of the cam cap holes. To move from the intakes to the exhausts, I reversed the fittings on the lever.

I thought I would just use the PVC to get the shape right then re-create it with metal tubing, but as it turned out the PVC held up just fine.

I'm pretty sure something similar would work with a GS. It was a tight fit on the KLR, but it worked. Pulling the old valve stem seals was the hard part, since there was so little vertical clearance to get my puller (a modified pair of large needlenose pliers) in there.

Thanks for sharing, super useful info! I will definitely try that

Comment

This is a Hillbilly method that works...
                    You don't need a window in the socket to remove the keepers.(collet)
                    If you hold the unmodified socket on the valve spring a diplomatic smack with a hammer on the socket will bump the keepers out.
                    Pre-compress the springs and zip tie them for installation.
                    Last edited by derwood; 03-02-2013, 10:50 PM.
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Heh, I used that hammer method =] worked perfectly fine

Comment

Originally posted by GelandeStrasse View Post
                        I've read that it can be done by pressuring up the cylinder with an airline. Guess you'd need a fairly high pressure. Sounds feasible, I'll try it next time I need new seals.
                        Yeah you can do that, though still need the piston at the top just in case the air pressure is some how released. It can happen and I've seen it happen, doesn't take much either.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Call Me Ahab View Post
                          Heh, I used that hammer method =] worked perfectly fine
                          Let us know how the hammer does to put them back in.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't have the equipment to cut up a socket, so I went to Harbor Freight and wandered around until I spotted a $5 oxygen sensor socket.

I've never changed an oxygen sensor, but for some reason it gets a special socket with a panel missing. So it's pretty much the same idea, except the cutting is already done for you.

This gave me the access I needed to get those little keys out.

Worked great, especially for someone like me who doesn't plan on doing this job again!

Comment

I have heard of a rope in the cylinder to remove the springs for refreshing stem seals before with the head on the bike.

So how do you get the rope in so you can jam it with the piston? Thru the intake port or something?

I admittedly haven't done a search for such tricks...sorry.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X