Oil strainer screen - worth removing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil strainer screen - worth removing?

So I've removed my oil pan and the old gasket came off pretty easy without sticking to the engine or the pan. It felt really brittle but it came off almost entirely in one piece. One small piece stuck to the engine but I was able to get it off without too much trouble.

Is it worth removing the oil screen to clean it or anything? My Haynes manual says the screws,phillip's head, are supposed to be installed with locking fluid and it sure feels like that's what happened 'cause they're not budging.

Normally, I clean everything I can when I do a job on the bike, but I'm inclined to leave the screen as it is. I don't see any pieces or flakes on it.

Is leaving it in a bad idea?

Also, check out the pan when I removed it -

It sure had a lot of gunk in it! I think this gasket is the original so, I dunno, is this alot of gunk for a 30-year-old bike? Don't know if you can see that little bit of gasket that fell in there. I think that was my valve job of a couple of years back!

I washed the oil pan thoroughly - it was even worse on the outside!

I wonder is one can backwash the sump filter by accessing through an oil gallery passage.

I have taken mine off once and it had a very few tiny wee bits of metal along with a few tiny gobs of sealant.

If a metal bit is a sliver I suppose it could eventually wnd its way past the mesh.

My mesh is spot welded to the pickup in three places so its not perfectly sealed to begin with.

Comment

I used vise grips to break the screws loose than used a short screw driver,

Comment

So, when you guys re-installed the screen, did you use loctite on the screws?

Comment

I used me some blue stuff.

Comment

Thanks! Switched to the home repair project for the evening, but tomorrow I'll take a crack at removing that screen before I install the new gasket.

Comment

Electric impact gun and #3 philips works great! and yeah its worth adding a little bit of blue locktite and 10mm bolts instead of the screws.

After that screen is the oil pump, after that is the filter cavity.
              The only thing getting damaged is the oil pump if something gets by the screen. The filter should take care of the rest as long as it doesn't go into bypass from being clogged.

You could backflush it by removing the oil pump and feeding back that way but it would be less work to take the screen off.
              Last edited by Mekanix; 03-03-2013, 12:02 AM.
              Stephen.
              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

the last one i did had quite a bit of gunk stuck in the screen. i used an impact driver w/ phillips bit. just a couple whacks to break the screws loose. also used medium loctite.
                2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                82 gs1100L probably the next project
                1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

just cleaned mine while had sump off to helicoil plug thread.screen was pretty chocka full of rag lint and had to lie the bike over to get impact driver at the screws

Comment

Remove it and add some semi permanent loctite when you install it. The cleaner you can get it means the better the oil cirulates in the engine...and without restrictions.

If your leary about removing it, maybe a shop vac with as small an adapter as possible will suck the gunk out of it.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

There are some O rings in there too... On the oil pump that should be replaced..
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-03-2013, 05:05 AM.

Comment

also.... keep an eye out for the o-ring inside the sump... renew and replace

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                          also.... keep an eye out for the o-ring inside the sump... renew and replace
                          Now there you go confusing people. The sump in question is from a GS850. No O ring in the sump.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgsfan View Post
                            Also, check out the pan when I removed it -

I dunno, is this alot of gunk for a 30-year-old bike?
                            Oh, I don't know, why don't you tell me?

This is from a 850 I had for a while that was "catch and release".

Fortunately, it cleaned out very easily. Simply running the solvent (kerosene) over the sludge took it away, I only had some very light brushing to do in the corners.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, these little bastards almost had me beat and I almost gave up - but after about an hour that seemed more like two I finally managed to get all three screws out so I could remove the screen.

I tried the impact driver with a phillips bit but I couldn't get enough leverage and not enough room in the garage to lay my bike down so I could really whack at it.

I tried the vice grips and, at first, no luck. So I went back and forth for about the next hour between the two - and sometimes just lay there staring at those damn screws wishing really hard they would just fall out.

Removed my exhaust so I could get more room to work and went at it with the vice grips again...then, presto, there was a slight crack sound and the screw came right out. After the first one gave it up, I knew I could get the other two - they only took about 15 minutes.

The screen was actually pretty clean. But I think it's always better to know for sure.

Thanks for all the advice - This week I'll be putting it all back together after work hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X