front fork ugrade for my 82 katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front fork ugrade for my 82 katana

I want to upgrade my front forks on my 1982 suzuki katana; Basically I would like to know if there are better forks from different suzuki models that I can put into the stock triple trees. Or are there any internal upgrads I can do to my stock katana forks. My forks are way too old now and I would like to make them better than factory if I could. Please let me know about any options out there. thanks

uhmm bump

Comment

If you don't want to do a front end swap your best bet is to:

- Get some new fork springs (I like straight rate springs like Sonic or Racetech)
      - Cartridge emulators (Racetech gold or Mike's XS clones)
      - Fork Brace
      - New tapered bearings to keep everything tight

Comment

This subject is very well documented. Have you tried using the search and advanced search button?

You don't say what the current condition of your Kat is.

Before you start ask yourself are you going to do this yourself or pay someone else to do it. How much money and time are you willing to spend? Are you willing to spend thousands to actually reduce the resale value of your Katana?

For the same amount of money that you will spend getting your 82 to handle like a circa 1992 bike you could buy a second circa 2000+ bike that already does everything you want with 120+ hp. There are a lot of options for capable used bikes in the $2500 to $3500 range.

I know what your thinking, I want my cool old skool to do everything. You can make it better but it will likely loose resale and it will have flaws like reduced ground clearance.

If your still interested look up Katman's posts, Joe Wheland's posts, and others, many of whom have documented their projects in the projects section. I'm not trying to rain on the parade but want you to step back and look at the big picture.

As Toasty mentioned there are internal upgrades or you can go the GSXR front / Bandit rear route. See http://www.suzuki-katana.com/

Comment

Front Upgrade

I just did a complete Hayabusa (2011) front fork swap,as well as mono rear Busa as well for my 82 GS 1100 build.Im old school hot rodder and want the old look with the newer anenities.Not interested in resale,just current ride quality and not being the same as everybody else. Have about $650 into swap,plus my fab time.Plus I get a steering dampner out of the deal as well.Late model Busa stuff is relatively cheap on CL and ebay. Rich

Comment

Working...
          X