Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repairing Gauges...is there more methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing Gauges...is there more methods?

Since I have my instrument cluster dissasembled, I'd like to fix the noise my tach is making when I have the cable connected to it.

I did a search using "Repairing Gauges" and found this thread:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Are there any more tips? I'll try what was suggested on here but if anyone has another method, please chime in.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=193593

Might be helpful.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post

I appreciate the link...there's even a reply in there from me.

Maybe I'll post some pics...seems to catch more attention that way.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

lol yeah i see that now.

I was just thinking you could use a small motor or something else that would be quiet and use it to turn the tach to find out what the noise is coming from.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

not sure if this thread is of any help

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
            lol yeah i see that now.

I was just thinking you could use a small motor or something else that would be quiet and use it to turn the tach to find out what the noise is coming from.
            The noise is definitely coming from within the tach...and the speedo works but the needle has a tendency to bounce around.

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            not sure if this thread is of any help

Thanks...my instrument cluster is different. IDK how I'm going to take the cover off without breaking anything. Now I've got to take pics.

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

What's the noise? I've had 3 tachs do that to me all with the same needle shattering end.

Comment

Sound

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
                What's the noise? I've had 3 tachs do that to me all with the same needle shattering end.
                It's a winding sound that gets louder as the RPMs increase. I'm keeping the cable connected to the engine to keep debris out of there but I zip-tied the other end to the headlight harness.

I'll take pics of the tach soon.

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Is the cable new? i went through 3 tachs that did the exact same thing. once i was on a long ride and my kid had taken my plyers out of my back pack. i watched the needle go into warp speed bouncing and spinning before literally exploding into pieces. The tach cable is the only thing that didn't change between the 3. I just installed the mini tach from dime city cycles with a brand new cable. I'm guessing this ought to solve my problem.

Comment

New Tach...maybe?

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
                    Is the cable new? i went through 3 tachs that did the exact same thing. once i was on a long ride and my kid had taken my plyers out of my back pack. i watched the needle go into warp speed bouncing and spinning before literally exploding into pieces. The tach cable is the only thing that didn't change between the 3. I just installed the mini tach from dime city cycles with a brand new cable. I'm guessing this ought to solve my problem.
                    Well, I'm gonna try and take the face plate off without too much damage and not break the glass. I'll tap a small flathead screwdriver all the way around; it's gonna take some patience because it looks as though the plate is glued on.

Like I said, pics are forthcoming. I'm feeling under the weather atm so hopefully I come around tomorrow so I can put my "T" back together. I'm getting withdrawals from not riding.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                      The noise is definitely coming from within the tach...and the speedo works but the needle has a tendency to bounce around.

Thanks...my instrument cluster is different. IDK how I'm going to take the cover off without breaking anything. Now I've got to take pics.

Ed
                      Sounds like my gauges before I lubed and then replaced them. I use the hacksaw method to open them up (make sure your hacksaw blade won't scratch the face), and ABS pipe cement to glue them shut.
                      Sewing machine oil is perfect. And in the case of the tach, I just replaced my tach, and have a spare guts for it if you want it for the cost of shipping.

I could take some pics of it, but it's pretty simple.

Trying to take the faceplate off really made the metal ring on mine look terrible.
                      Before I lubed my speedo, the needle bounced so hard it snapped off. I'd suggest taking care of it soon. While I was in there, I repainted the damaged/faded paint.

Hmmm. Actually you might just be able to drill a hole to drip oil where it matters and not open the case. That would probably be on the angled part opposite where the cable attaches. Kind of hard if you don't know where it is.
                      I took some photos. I'll try to upload them for you.

Comment

Have you tried lubing the speedometer? No need to take anything apart. Turn it upside down, put oil between the threaded part the cable threads onto, and the inner part that spins with the cable.
                        Last edited by tkent02; 06-21-2013, 02:29 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here you go:

This is where I think you could drill the hole.

This is about the same spot on the inside:

Regardless, this is what needs lube. You may be able to lube it through the space between the threaded part and the part that spins with the gauge upside down.

And a shameless plug for retouching your tach's faded red zone and needle tip.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            Maybe I'll post some pics...seems to catch more attention that way.

Ed
                            It's so hard to give advice when someone doesn't know what bike you are talking about.

Originally posted by WilliamGLX81 View Post

Regardless, this is what needs lube. You may be able to lube it through the space between the threaded part and the part that spins with the gauge upside down.

There is still one more pivot point that needs lubrication. It's at the needle end.
                            Last edited by rustybronco; 06-21-2013, 07:55 AM.
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Replies

Sounds like my gauges before I lubed and then replaced them. I use the hacksaw method to open them up (make sure your hacksaw blade won't scratch the face), and ABS pipe cement to glue them shut.
                              Sewing machine oil is perfect. And in the case of the tach, I just replaced my tach, and have a spare guts for it if you want it for the cost of shipping.

I could take some pics of it, but it's pretty simple.

Trying to take the faceplate off really made the metal ring on mine look terrible.
                              Before I lubed my speedo, the needle bounced so hard it snapped off. I'd suggest taking care of it soon. While I was in there, I repainted the damaged/faded paint.

Hmmm. Actually you might just be able to drill a hole to drip oil where it matters and not open the case. That would probably be on the angled part opposite where the cable attaches. Kind of hard if you don't know where it is.
                              I took some photos. I'll try to upload them for you.
                              Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Have you tried lubing the speedometer? No need to take anything apart. Turn it upside down, put oil between the threaded part the cable threads onto, and the inner part that spins with the cable.
                              Tank suggested I put some oil in it like you guys suggested and that has worked. Thanks for the replies.

Here you go:

This is where I think you could drill the hole.

This is about the same spot on the inside:

And a shameless plug for retouching your tach's faded red zone and needle tip.

Good Luck!
                              Thanks for the advice and pics.

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                              It's so hard to give advice when someone doesn't know what bike you are talking about.

There is still one more pivot point that needs lubrication. It's at the needle end.
                              Updating my signature was one of the first things I did when I signed up in Dec. And I've posted quite a bit in that time always mentioning my "T".

Ed
                              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM.
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X