Anti - dive blocking plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti - dive blocking plates

I rebuilt my Forks last year and now I want to replace the anti-dive units on the forks with blocking plates. Is there any good way to do this without having to drain the fork oil?

Thanks,
    Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Originally posted by 5azzmonkey View Post
    Is there any good way to do this without having to drain the fork oil?

Thanks,
    Dave
    No.

As for the plates, you need to study the oil flow pattern to make sure what kind of plate you need. For the 750 models for example, the block off plate needs a groove connecting the ports together. Without the groove the fork will stiffen up on compression damping, same as if the brake was applied and the antidive was actuated.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      No.

As for the plates, you need to study the oil flow pattern to make sure what kind of plate you need. For the 750 models for example, the block off plate needs a groove connecting the ports together. Without the groove the fork will stiffen up on compression damping, same as if the brake was applied and the antidive was actuated.

Guess I'll be draining them then

Yeah the ones I have on order connect the two holes in order to let oil flow.

A bit pricey but look very nice. They are also offered in black anodized.

Thanks,
      Dave
      82 GS1100E

Comment

The only way to do it without draining would be to have the forks upside down.. I've done it that way (had to ship the anti-dive's that day so needed a quick fix) .

Unless you're a lot stronger than me and can lift your whole bike you'll have to remove the fork tubes by which point most of the work is done...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You could have just removed the brake lines and plugged the holes with plastic plugs...

Although the eBay plates are pretty sweet...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

or like this...........

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Currently I just have the anti-dive units hooked up without a brake line, but I don't like the look.
              82 GS1100E

Comment

All you have to do is lay the forks down flat, with the anti-dives facing up. No fork oil will be lost this way. Just don't let them roll over once you remove the anti-dive. Ray.

Comment

I got a set, the black ones, from that guy on e-bay. Very good workmanship.

Comment

they do look nice, but....what was the price tag again? seems i recall 80 bucks or so?? i'll fabricate some out of some alu plate i have laying around for zero dollars and use the 80 for something that will actually improve the suspension....say, some cartridge emulators.

greg
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Yup, that guy on eBay... Demon Speed Racing.

New website coming soon. www.demonspeedracing.com

eBay store will be closed at the end of April.

Really? $80.00 is too much?

Timothy

Comment

I got a pair from demon speed racing for my GSXR 1100 forks.
                        It's a very nice product that is well finished and with a perfect fit
                        sigpicJohn Kat
                        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                        GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

$80 is a very fair price for the block-off units as fitted to John Kats bike. They are a high quality item with a perfect fit and finish that looks factory. Try getting a one off pair built to that standard at your local Engineering Shop for less than $80.
                          Shin-Ken 1074
                          1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                          1981 GSX1150 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight = 206 kg.

Comment

I ordered the plates,clean transaction, prompt shipping. They are high quality units, Haven't installed them yet as I am waiting for more parts... Not sure what the purpose of the allen screw is, other than to plug a drilled passage. Much nicer than the OEM oil leaking PDF valves.
                            As far as the price... under 80 bucks, good value. Labour rates around here are that much per hour at any decent machine shop.
                            I am into the suspension for about $1200, so "don't get cheap on me now", labour is free!
                            GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                              I got a pair from demon speed racing for my GSXR 1100 forks.
                              It's a very nice product that is well finished and with a perfect fit
                              Caliper upgrade?

Comment

Working...
                              X