universal petcock suggestion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

universal petcock suggestion?

What brands work well, what should I avoid. Im getting and on-off non-vacuum petcock and an adapter plate for universal petcock.

BTW my 79 gs1000 vacuum is for sale if you like. Works well, but I am more at ease with manual shut-off.

Can't go wrong with a pingel.
    We Pass more Gas! Pingel Enterprise has long been known for our fuel valves, also known as petcocks. This product is one of the first motorycle parts from Pingel manufacturing. Our valves set the standard for quality and high flow with substantially higher fuel flow than any other fuel valve made for motorcycles.

Comment

Yeah I could. I could go broke

Comment

What about this Yamaha one? I think it might be 42mm bolt spacing though...

Some more here:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by wompin View Post
          Yeah I could. I could go broke
          Sorry wompin... I thought you were looking for a high quality and reliable product after struggling with the crappy oem units like I have. Paul

Comment

Pingels definately not off my radar, I just wonder i any other petcock is competent.

The mikesxs and eaglemikes sites seem to have some decent ones.

Decisions decisions.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Anyone else have a manual petcock source?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

wompin, what did you end up doing/ going with ?
                I'm looking at the pingel, but would prefer not to spend 130 bucks for the adaptor plate and valve !

Comment

dont waste your money

I wasnt about to shell out 100+ for a petcock on a $1000 bike either, so I got a universal petcock adapter (converts our oval 44mm spaced petcock outlet to a universal 3/8 compression thread. I got a pingel adapter plate ($25) to hopefully avoid any leaks here. Then I got the least expensive 3/8 male thread petcock available that I thought was up to par. I went with a Bikers choice old harley style with on off and reserve. They dont make these with a forward/left facing outlet tube, and the straight thru/down outlet tube this petcock had interfered with my airbox. I then pulled the pressed in tube out, drilled a hole, and installed the tube as forward facing. I sealed up the old hole with JB waterweld. No leaks, good fitment, I love my new set up. Simple and functional.

Let me know if you need/want part numbers. Remember, every part will fit if you tell it to. Just look at Red Green or Magiver. Bolt on, model specific parts will render you broke before your wife and stepson ever get a chance to.

Comment

hahaha, thanks for the info !
                    I finally broke down and ordered the pingel and adaptor plate (with a little digging came to $ 110 shipped).
                    as much as I love 'fashioning' things to fit that don't necessarily belong, those days are behind me for a bit as I have a 'wee one' at home that I like to give my attention to these days !
                    well done though !

Comment

Installed my PINGEL yesterday, no issues and easy. I discovered my gas tank was FILTHY, drained all the gas (filtered into a can-cloudy, probably won't even use it in my mower), and full of chunks (seam sealer I'm guessing). All cleaned up, now, to be smart I pulled the carbs and will clean them up, and to the coil relay mod while I'm at it !! getting closer !

Comment

Working...
                      X