450 engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phillipjohnw View Post
    Hey Mekanix, do you happen to remember if the 450 chain is 520 or 530? I've been searching through my clymers and it doesn't say anywhere. I've looked on the web, but I am getting mixed results.

450 is a 530 I believe. The GS500's are 520's though.

Measure either sprocket. If its thicker than 6mm its a 530 if its exactly 6mm than its a 520.

If you can find a sprocket set to switch to the 520 that would be great.

How worn are the sprockets? If they are worn to the last chain that was on there, the new chain will wear out quicker.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

450's are definitely a 530 chain... I have a SSS chain on mine and it seems to be ok, I think I need to adjust though as it's feeling a little slack...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks for the info. I did eventually find what size the stock chain is, but didnt have time to post up what I found.

Mekanix, I replace both sprockets and thought I could get away with the old chain. Looks like you can't always cut corners...

Since I ran into this little bump I've given up on getting it running for the local bike rally, but its given me more time to fiddle. Not exactly a good thing. Here are my plans, go ahead and tell me if they are stupid or not. First up is hacking up the wiring harness and pretty much rewiring everything. Removing a lot of things I deem unnecessary, mostly the huge gauge cluster in the front, turning signals, moving the electronics to a underseat box along with a kill switch, starter button, led neutral light, and possibly a high/low beam switch. Cleaning up the handle bars a lot, just brake, clutch, and throttle. Running a single gauge tach and no speedo. Possibly detabbing the mid to rear section of the bike where the electronics used to be. Reworking the rear fender, bob/chop, and paint. And then anything else that comes to my mind.

Comment

So you're ditching the speedo and indicators altogether? Over here that would have me running up huge fines and demerit points... and personally I'd never run without indicators! I know cagers still don't see us but people not indicating their intentions makes matters much worse.

If you want a single gauge, try an Acewell... I have the base model round one and love it. Simple, slightly smaller than one of the stock round gauges, and gives me speedo, tacho, and all idiot lights.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Removing the turn signals is a bad idea. I don't know about the laws there, but it most likely won't pass inspection without them. Same thing with removing a speedo. Check your laws before even thinking of it. I dislike having the switches in the underseat box as well. What is the point of having a kill switch if you can't get to it quickly? You will also be running the risk of hitting the kill switch in stead of the hi beams, which would not be a good situation either.

Found this online:

Read post #10

Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Something like that wears as a set.

A simple all in one gage would be nice. Like the acewell. But there are others.

There are better looking controls available to clean up the handlebars as well.

You would be better off having controls available just in case but they don't have to look big and ugly.

Signals can be very small and well hidden but can also be very bright. Just look for xml t6 led lamps. Two of those put out more light than your headlight but are the size of a quarter.

You could easily hide them but be noticed very well.

To start the bike you need to have one hand on the clutch, one on the throttle and somehow press a button. Not for the first start but rather for that time in traffic where it would stall out.

Quick response is important wherever you decide to put the controls.

What does the law require there ?
              Last edited by Mekanix; 07-08-2013, 11:09 PM.
              Stephen.
              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

I was planning on running a single gauge like the acwell. As for legality, the states motor vehicle laws are pretty lax when it comes to inspections. That coupled with the fact that we live in a rural area and its not going to be a daily driver or even a weekend warrior lead me to ditch the turn signals and stuff in order to make the wiring simpler. I want to to have a track bike type feel.

Comment

Well it looks like the old gs is going on the back burner for a bit. I picked up one of my buddies sv650 to cruise around on. Fantastic bike, its not a gs but still in the Suzuki family. I'm just going to enjoy the summer and take my time piecing together the 450.

Comment

Working...
                  X