Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should an old Kerker muffler have packing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should an old Kerker muffler have packing???

I got a nice Kerker system off ebay for a GS400. It is a 2 into one, and I managed to dissasemble the muffler easily but was surprised to see no packing.. there were remnants of stuff like fiberglas or something but what should I use to renew this?
    I don't want really loud but a subdued 'kerker' sound!!

someone like this

or

or fiberglass, or stainless steel wool, get the stuff for marine use, not the scouring pads for doing dishes

I am sure there are other ideas out there

Comment

UPDATE I just cut some yellow fiberglass ? (dunno why its yellow different brand???) from a batt and wrapped it round then used stainless wire.. then stuffed it all together.
      I'm going to beadblast it all later and give it a try!!!!
      Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2013, 02:14 PM. Reason: update!!

Comment

Im no expert but there must be some reason they dont sell house insulation at the motorcycle store. You can buy cut squares of packing for motocross bikes that will be a whole lot easier and less itchy. My repacks last about a season and it's 13 bucks a pop. I always forget to plug the end for winter so I'm sure there is a family of mice somewhere that smell like exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
          there must be some reason they dont sell house insulation at the motorcycle store
          maybe they do.. we just don't know it?? I just wanna know.. is the stuff they sell different really?
          I'm about to find out!!

Comment

I have a vintage Kerker system on my 1100. The megaphone looks very similar to yours. Mine also came to me with no packing but there were remnants of the packing still in there, like in the ends.
            There is a thread here on the forum somewhere about packing with steel wool. I chose that cheap route because A its cheap and B I am impatient and could get steel wool locally. haha
            I used #0 or #1 if I recall.
            First time I wrapped it with maybe 4 steel wool pads. (you have to unroll them into "sheets" and then wrap them around the baffle) Then I used ss zip ties to secure them to the baffle. There was not much sound difference so I took the baffle back out and wrapped 4 or 5 more pads around that. Basically I put as much on there as I could until it was snug to slide the baffle back into the megaphone end.
            It made it a bit quieter and gave it that lower , grumbly sound, as opposed to a wide open tinny sound.
            Its ok for now, I am not thrilled with it but am not going to change it. Next time I will be trying proper packing material to see how it changes.
            Not to mention the wool will burn up over time.
            All I know is when I start my bike, EVERYBODY looks. haha

Comment

I used the yellow fiberglass packing from my local Ace Hardware store. I wrapped it as tight as can be and then secured it with very thin wire.
              I sound tested it without the wrapping and then with the wrapping, using a sound meter. It dropped 10dB, which means it was half as loud. The fiberglass does not burn up, blow out or rust, it just absorbs the sound.
              The biggest difference I noticed between the store-bought stuff and what I use is that fiberglass makes you itch if you don't use protective long sleeves and gloves, and the price/availability.
              Spend more on the fancy stuff if you wish, the choice is yours.

Comment

I have a vintage 1982 Kerker on my 1100 and using the proper packing makes a huge difference to the sound and it lasts for years on a road bike and it is not expensive.

There should be some available from a bike shop somewhere near you. Here is an example of the packing from a U.K. supplier:

Shin-Ken 1074
                1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Welp I got it together and used yellow fiberglass with stainless safety wire. I really wrapped it on after I sized up a nice patch of the fiberglass.. it sounds fantastic.. the little 400 started in one kick after sitting all winter!!

I still have to paint that front fender but i'm getting closer!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X