89 GSXR front end with 18" wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 GSXR front end with 18" wheel?

So, my next project will involve grafting a complete front end from a 1989 GSXR front end onto my GS1100es... but, as I have Astralites, I want to keep the 18" front wheel. Has anybody done this swap using an 18" wheel? Does the fender clear the wheel/tire combo?

Have not done it with an 89 front end but did do it with a 86 front end , and it was a direct fit bolt on with the 18" gixxer front wheel
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Nice parts on that ESD. So your looking to put the 89 1100 RSU forks and keep your existing wheels,calipers and rotors?

Are you running 15mm axles? You might be able to bump up to a bigger diameter axle with a bearing swamp. I know the 88 GSXR 1100 was 17mm, not sure about the 89. You have an option with 750/1100 triple clamps, but I would probably stick with the 1100 forks.

I have also done the 88 GSXR 1100 front on an ED. First time I did braze-on's to use the stock ED/ESD fender. The last time I used a 1st gen GSXR fender.
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Bingo! I want my wheels and brakes on 89 GSXR forks as they are the longest and RWU. Now that I think about it... all I need to do if it doesn't clear is shim up the brace and fender with the appropriate spacers and I'm golden! Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Subscribed....

Comment

Step 1 complete

Well, let the games begin. I have purchased my major components from eBay. Next task will be to get them rebuilt and re-sprung for my fat ass. more updates to follow, I'm sure! Paul

Comment

Step Two

Forks have been placed in the capable hands of Race Tech for a complete overhaul and a revalve/respring.

Comment

You win the lottery?
                Just jealous...RaceTech is great.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  You win the lottery?
                  Just jealous...RaceTech is great.
                  No lottery Steve. We have a bonus program at work that pays out quarterly for having a reliable machine. If we are making electricity we get our bonus. It's like free money! Paul

Comment

The GSXR 1100 RSU forks are a little short in my opinion
                    Having 18" wheels will help for sure.
                    To regain the lost clearance, I used Bandit 1200 fork legs in GSXR triples.
                    I also modified a GSXR 1100 fork to take a 15 mm spindle to accomodate GSXR 1100 G wheels or even GS 1000 spoked wheels
                    Here are some pics:
                    GS 1000 S with GSXR K forks

Katana 1100 with GSXR triples and Bandit legs

The trick to get a 15 mm spindle in a GSXR or Bandit fork

With a 19 inch wheel in place
                    sigpicJohn Kat
                    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

John,
                      Thanks for all your tips and info, but I have the 1989 version of the forks so they are as long as they get. They are about 29.5" from the axle to the top of the forks. My original set are set at 30" from axle to top of triple clamp. I think all will be good. Paul

Comment

I had measured the fork legs as follows:
                        GS 1000: 775 mm
                        GSXR 1100 RSU: 745 mm
                        Bandit 1200: 775 mm
                        That's with the fork legs fully extended of course
                        The good news with shorter forks is that for every inch lower, you loose 1° of rake making the bike nimbler.
                        The bad news is obvious: the bike could touch down in the twisties
                        sigpicJohn Kat
                        My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,

Comment

Parts hunt continues

There are some very tidy fork braces available on the bay... but they are all Bandit stuff.

example.

So, my question is... are they interchangeable with the GSXR units? Or is a Bandit a Bandit, and a GSXR a GSXR with respect to fork braces? Thanks, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
                            There are some very tidy fork braces available on the bay... but they are all Bandit stuff.

example.

So, my question is... are they interchangeable with the GSXR units? Or is a Bandit a Bandit, and a GSXR a GSXR with respect to fork braces? Thanks, Paul
                            It is also only 3mm thick

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post

example.

This is part is in fact the bracket that holds the front mudguard.
                              The dimension is the same between the Bandit phase 1 and GSXR 1100 K.
                              I can't garantee for the other model years.
                              sigpicJohn Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X