X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that John. Good to know and much appreciated. Paul

Comment

Update!

Forks are back from RaceTech and I have purchased a second lower triple to be machined and added to the original unit to make the forks ultra stiff! Pictures to follow once some real progress is made.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
        Forks are back from RaceTech and I have purchased a second lower triple to be machined and added to the original unit to make the forks ultra stiff! Pictures to follow once some real progress is made.
        See picture of an aftermarket 1st gen GSXR fork brace . It is 0.50" thick vs. the stock 3mm (0.12").

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          See picture of an aftermarket 1st gen GSXR fork brace . It is 0.50" thick vs. the stock 3mm (0.12").
          Well that is very interesting... where does this aftermarket fork brace come from?

God my English teacher would be appalled!

From where does this aftermarket brace come?
          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
            Well that is very interesting... where does this aftermarket fork brace come from?

God my English teacher would be appalled!

From where does this aftermarket brace come?
            Paul
            Not quite unobtainium, as this is my second one but not sure where you could get one . Just throwing that out there that the aftermarket braces were made quite a bit beefier than the OEM fender mount. You could use the idea to get a new one made up. It is basically flat stock with the stock fender brace outline and holes countersunk for the fork mounts.

Comment

OK. So I experienced a little bit of delay, you know, life stuff. But the ball is rolling again. The front wheel is off the bike, and has been mounted to the GSXR forks.

I'm still working on getting gauges mounted and steering locks.

Comment

Glad to see you managed to get the front wheel on the fork.
                You apparently managed to use the GSXR 11K OEM spindle?
                sigpicJohn Kat
                My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                  Glad to see you managed to get the front wheel on the fork.
                  You apparently managed to use the GSXR 11K OEM spindle?
                  Thanks John. turns out my wheels have 20mm bearings in them. just needed to get spacers fabricated to center the wheel.
                  Because I don't have any machining skills or equipment, I ended up taking it to an "old school" bike shop where they still lovingly rebuild old motorcycles with many hand built parts.

Comment

It's always nice when new parts arrive for the project!

New ignition switch for the GSXR triples and some bar risers! Sweet!

Comment

So, I made some progress over the long weekend. It was a matter of going up to a friend's shop where he has some serious fabrication tools and knowledge to use them. It's always a treat to visit because he has such a cool collection of stuff!

including, but not limited to a 500 GAMMA

and a Honda RS750!

So, on with the business! Secure the front end assembly on the lift

and start making hangers out of aluminum

Before long we have them roughed in place

and it's time to make some spacers to align the calipers in their position

Before long we have them mounted up and solid!

I still need to source some correct bolts and some other fiddly stuff, but it was another productive week end in the hills!

Comment

For the steering locks on my gs1000 with gsxr front end I removed and welded 2 new stoppers.
                        I,m not a fan of drilling holes and putting bolts in the bottom yokes to limit the travel.
                        Marc
                        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                        1978 GS1000C X2
                        1978 GS1000E X2
                        1979 GS1000S
                        1979 gs1000
                        1983 gs400e

Comment

OK, so with the holiday weekend, I had the opportunity to make some progress in the shop. Here are the pictures of the first mock up. Front end, new ignition, fender, steering stops and bar mounts installed. I'm not sure I like the fender yet, but maybe it'll look different (read better) once the rest of the body work goes back on.

Comment

Nice job on those caliper mounts. What thickness are you using? 6060 or other? I never thought of fabbing those by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              Nice job on those caliper mounts. What thickness are you using? 6060 or other? I never thought of fabbing those by hand.
                              6061 T6 3/8" plate left over from an electrical project. (bus bar stock)

Comment

Looking brilliant!
                                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                                1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                                X