Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is purchasing a used stator a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is purchasing a used stator a good idea?

I bought my first bike about a week ago. An '83 GS650L for $600. Well I already I ran into problems with my charging system. The battery had a full charge when I got it and she ended up dieing after a handful of rides. I went through the troubleshooting flow chart on the stator papers and I think I came up with some peculiar readings.

There was no short from the stator wires to the engine case. All resistance readings between the 3 stator wires was right around 1.4 ohms. So far, so good. Now when I measured the AC voltage between the 3 stator wires with the engine running up to 5000 rpm I ended up with only 2.5V, 3.5V, and 5.8V. Clearly I am not getting the 60 Vac that I want between the poles and I am being led to believe that my stator is bad.

My first question is this: How are my resistance values between the poles still good but my output voltage is shot? Does this even make sense or does it sound like I botched the test? I would think my resistance values should be bad as well if there was damage to the stator which is causing the low voltage output.

Now for the fix. I found a used stator for my bike on ebay for $75. Should I go this route or go with the $135 new Electrosport stator? I know it is fairly common for stators to go out so I am not sure if getting a used one is smart or not. Anyone have experience with used stators?

I cant comment on your particular readings....but you know in your gut already that the new stator is the way to go. Just think.....you decide to go 300 miles from home to a gsr ralley or take your lady away on a weekend getaway......do you really want to worry that the used stator you bought is close to the end of its life? Lol
    Stator life is increased and protected by assuring your bikes harness connections are all clean and also do the mod where you directly wire the stator and rr. It should be on cliffs site.
    Spend the extra money and ride with confidence. I will say I bought a used stator (cheap like 30 bucks) that tested good to have as an emergency backup on a long trip/rally type situation.
    Just my thoughts.

Comment

In the parts for sale, member terrylee is parting a 650l.
      You could always pm him about the stator.
      Might be a cheap option if you cant spring 100-135 for a new one.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with buying a used stator as long as the winding's coating doesn't appear burnt and it's resistance measures ok.

Take your voltmeter and test you wall socket's voltage to make sure the meter's AC voltage readings are ok.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 04-14-2013, 11:53 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          There is nothing wrong with buying a used stator as long as the winding's coating doesn't appear burn't and it's resistance measures ok.

Take your voltmeter and test you wall socket's voltage to make sure the meter's AC voltage readings are ok.
          Yes indeed, sounds like AC readings are suspect. I bought 2 used stators with good results, but you need a good gut feeling looking at an ebay picture of one. No need to pay $75 though - for that you can get a brand new Caltric stator (almost). Neither of mine cost $15. Be aware that you don't have to buy a stator off a 650- lots of suzukis share same stator.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            There is nothing wrong with buying a used stator as long as the winding's coating doesn't appear burn't and it's resistance measures ok.

I agree AC reading don't sound right given the 1.4 ohms readings.

Comment

That is pretty pricey for a used stator. IIRC, there is a company out there who rebuilds them for around that price. I purchased a brand new one from eBay for around $95 to my door.
              Pictures would also help, it is easy to spot a stator that is on its way out.

Comment

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was given a Gs650l from a friend not long ago and have been initiated to the charging problems already. I fried my R/R n my trip home from picking it up, I purchased a used one that seems to work just fine, also a new battery. I went on my merry way and two days later it stranded me. After doing test from the stator pages, found that I was only getting about 20v A/c from the stator, purchased and used one and seem to be having the same issue. I have determined that I really need to just purchase the new one from electrosport. I would warn against buying a used one.

Comment

Originally posted by crazed284 View Post
                  Hi, I am new to this forum. I was given a Gs650l ..... I have determined that I really need to just purchase the new one from electrosport. I would warn against buying a used one.
                  Do a little research and you'll find that ES stators have had problems, so don't count on one to solve your charging problems. I've had good luck with 30 yearold used stators- but today I'd probably opt for a new Caltric stator (apparently $70 these days). All these new ones are likely made in China despite any seller's assurances otherwise.
                  Cleaned connections, a decent R/R ,and thorough testing will improve your odds. Consider a onboard voltage meter- this would give you a litle warning when a problem develops.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!!

For Mr. Steamroller and Mr. crazed284,

Since one of you decided to put up your first post in someone else's first post, I'll just give you both the "mega-welcome". In it you will find most of what you need for regular maintenance of your classic GS bike plus a whole lot more.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I've had no problems with the used one I bought.
                      Wasn't my first choice but money was tight and I had a 2,600 km trip coming up.
                      I got it on ebay for $30 shipped.

Comment

Daniel and I shoved a used stator out of my GS1000EC into his GS1100GKE. The only thing I did was measure it's resistance and slapped her home. We even reused the old gasket by wiping a thin layer of gray RTV on it.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                        X