What is the advantage of DYNA 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the advantage of DYNA 2000

I was looking at getting a dyna 2000 kit for my 1982 katana, I understand the dyna 2000 has adjustable advance, and a rev limiter but I'm realy not sure what the benefit is of an adjustable advance, how will I get more power by adjusting the advance??? versus the dyna S which does not have the adjustable advance..... Curently I have a 1180cc motor, yoshi exhaust, 33mm mikuni carbs, yoshi cams, and dyna S... the bike runs great but I was just wondering how I would benefit with a dyna 2000 on this kind of set up... Just don't understand how or if I can get more power out of a dyna 2000 over just the dyna S....

I don't have a clue ,but with 1180cc, a rev limiter sounds useful. But since "the bike runs great" why do anything but ride?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You can use the adjustable advance at the drag strip on your drag bike.
      IMHO, don't waste the time or money on a street bike.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that unit, but the idea is to advance the timing as much as possible, throughout the rev range, and bring the engine to the edge of detonation. Modern cars have "knock detection" sensors, and the timing is adjusted accordingly automatically.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          I don't have a clue ,but with 1180cc, a rev limiter sounds useful. But since "the bike runs great" why do anything but ride?
          Yes, I would think the rev limiter is the only benefit to the OP.

I don't have one and it doesn't worry me too much unless you do wide open speed shifts

Comment

It does away with the mechanical advancer and if you plan to boost it or run nitrous then it has a wire you can hook up to retart the timing. Also I think it provides additional retard for startup, but I have been wrong once before.
            Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
            2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              I'm not familiar with that unit, but the idea is to advance the timing as much as possible, throughout the rev range, and bring the engine to the edge of detonation. Modern cars have "knock detection" sensors, and the timing is adjusted accordingly automatically.
              So basically the unit compensates electronicaly for the mechanical advancer??? Also how you do know that you are getting the edge of detonation on an electronical advancer, is there a way to check for the optimal preformance curve??? everyone will just telll you to advance it to 35degrees or all the way up to 40 degrees but they are just kind of guessing how can I adjust it properly is there a way to measure the perfect detonation, I'm a bit confused on how you can adjust this unit properly, its cool to just have the bike run right but if I have adjustments options onthe dyna 2000 unit how can I measure if the adjustments are optimaly set, that is the million dollar question...

Comment

bump
                bump bump

Comment

The instructions, which can be downloaded from dynatek, show all the advance curves that you can select on the 2000. They also tell you which curve to select for a stock bike and how to set the timing.

There isn't really a way to tell when you are getting close to pre-detonations (pinging) other than a knock sensor and associated hardwar($$$). Google around and you should be able to help you read your spark plugs for evidence and also listen for pinging. There are things other than ignition timing that affects pre-detonation such as cam timing and fueling.
                  Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                  2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I run one and like it.
                    It also has a lead for an electronic tachometer.
                    Very easy to time with a degree wheel built in to the crank trigger rotor and a timing light on the box. You set the advance and tell the box how fast you want to get there.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The Dyna 2000 is really for performance engines.

I run one on my turbo bike.

You get a few really nice capabilities.
                      It is programmable - the base unit comes with a handful of advance/retard curves preloaded into the box. These are selectable with a dial. It also hs a built-in rev limiter to protect you from zinging the motor. If those don't meet your needs, Dynatek has programming software called curve maker and a cable (sold separately) that allows any computer to remap the ignition curve and rev limit to your custom settings.

There are wires to feed electronic tachs, and wires you can use for boost and security cutouts. On my turbo bike, the ignition retard kicks in when the boost sensor detects preset pressure.

These units are designed to allow a lower resistance coil (2.2 ohms) so you get a higher intensity spark.

I've run one for 3-4 years now on my turbo bike. What's nice is I can change the igntion settings just by turning a switch. This allows me to have different maps for hot humid weather or cold crisp days.

BTW, I also run an air/fuel sensor on my bike to know the fuel mix. I plan on upgrading that this year to a combination boost and air/fuel unit with a data recorder.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/wideband-air-fuel-systems-15/wideband-failsafe-gauge-84/
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2013, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X