Clutch does not fully disengage - GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch does not fully disengage - GS850

This is an 82 GS550 that I recently bought, history unknown. In first gear, with the clutch lever pulled in the bike will surge forward when starting. When either hot or cold, it is difficult to shift from neutral to first when standing still, yet sometimes it slips into first gear flawlessly, I never know when. It is much easier to shift into 2nd from a standstill as I recall, though that's not something you do. When moving there are no issues at all at any time in any gear. In fact, then it is a dream.

I finally decided the clutch was not fully disengaging, so I adjusted the cable as best I could. It appears to grab about halfway now, which is too loose I know, but it was a way to help find what was wrong. However there is not much difference in the symptoms. Is there another adjustment other than at either end of the clutch cable? Is oil a big factor? The oil was recently replaced with the recommended weight, but not any special brand.

I have tried searching around but most problems are about slipping.

The 550 clutch has a helix adjuster in the sprocket cover (LH side of bike). Proper adjustment technique is to turn in the adjusters on the end of the cable, both sides, to add slack. Then adjust the helix per the factory service manual process. Basically, tighten the adjuster until all the cable slack is removed, then back off the adjuster about 1/8" or so and set the lock nut.

Get your free service manual download here. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

The clutch lever should have a small amount of movement (freeplay) before you feel resistance against the clutch springs. Adjusting the cable to remove slack will make the clutch disengage more completely. If you adjust the cable without any freeplay however, your clutch will likely slip.

If the clutch both drags and slips, it's time to pull the clutch plates and measure everything.

Good luck
    Last edited by Nessism; 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Definitely it does not slip, ever. This description is clear and direct, the adjustment sounds doable, I will post my results later. I do have the manual, but mechanese is nothing like computerese which is what I speak!

Comment

Originally posted by ghiebert View Post
        Definitely it does not slip, ever. This description is clear and direct, the adjustment sounds doable, I will post my results later. I do have the manual, but mechanese is nothing like computerese which is what I speak!
        are you any good at translating as well?
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am having the same problem on a GS750 L
          I have adjusted the cable tension I can see the clutch plate move back but it is still engaged. any ideas what might be going on.

Comment

Originally posted by rlbaker View Post
            I am having the same problem on a GS750 L
            I have adjusted the cable tension I can see the clutch plate move back but it is still engaged. any ideas what might be going on.
            Your 750 clutch mechanism is different from 550. Likely that cable ain't pulling enough distance to release fully- did you see this guys post? go to start of thread

Place your 4 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Gs850

I realized after all this time, that I typo'd. It is a GS850 that I own. Is the procedure still the same?

Comment

Originally posted by ghiebert View Post
                I realized after all this time, that I typo'd. It is a GS850 that I own. Is the procedure still the same?
                No problem, we thrive on confusion. Why don't you go to USER CP in top left on this page and edit your signature to show your bike/model/year whenever you post.
                Anyways, yeah, the procedure for 750 and 850 is similar, so go to that link and head to first post .
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X