New Petcock 1980 GS550e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Petcock 1980 GS550e

Before it got cold out, I was working on my bike and decided to treat myself to a new petcock, which always seemed too pricey. I bought the petcock you'll see if you follow this link below from BikeBandit, and then it got too cold for working on my bike outside. So i put up the parts, including the petcock, and didn't look at them again until a couple weeks ago.

When it got warm out a couple weeks ago, I was psyched to install my brand new petcock, and begin this new phase of my life, where I'm confident in the performance of my fuel delivery valve, but I found that the new petcock doesn't fit. There's a piece behind the new petcock that butts up against my tank, and keeps the surfaces from meeting.

My old petcock diaphragm is definitely done. I have fuel leaking down my vacuum line, fouling the number 2 plug, which is fed by the carb that the vacuum line connects to. After disassembling my old petcock, I found a hole in its diaphragm.

BikeBandit is one of the only places I could find offering a petcock for my 1980 GS550E (which you recall, doesn't fit). Some petcocks are available for the 1980 GS550L, but compatibility checkers on the websites don't seem to think these 550L petcocks will work for my 550E.

I'm also wary of used cocks on ebay that could very well have the exact same problem. And, of course, petcock rebuild kits are taboo on thegsresources.

What's a boy to do?

I still have the BikeBandit cock. Can I just grab a Pingel Adaptor Plate? I can't recall if the bolt holes for the BikeBandit petcock were the same spacing as my old one, but I'll check when I get home.

Is this the situation where the Pingel Adapator Plate comes to the rescue, or am I overlooking a better option?

Actually the cross-reference charts say that it also fits a '79 1000L, but that's another story.

There are MANY places to get OEM parts, and all but one are cheaper than Bike BANDIT. (I am convinced that is how they earned their name.)

Not sure what might be behind the petcock that will bump into the tank, as the pictures don't show anything. Can you get any pictures of the interference point? Posting pictures here can be a pain, especially for a newbie, so feel free to send them to my e-mail, I will post them here for you. (E-mail info is in my profile, click on my username in the upper left corner, follow from there.)

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does you OEM petcock look like this one

Can you not send yhe piece you got back to BB?

Comment

The petcock you posted from Boulevard looks just like the one BB sent me.
        The problem with this petcock is the piece opposite the lever, which must house the diaphragm. This diaphragm housing butts up against my tank, and prevents the pieces form meeting.

I'll post pics when I get home tonight, but my old petcock has the diaphragm housing right underneath the tower filter, so there isn't anything opposite the lever. Incidentally, there is no lever either, as my original petcock is one of the "leverless" petcocks.

When I go to put the new petcock on, the

Also, BB won't take the petcock back, because I've had it too long. I called and pleaded my case, but they were unshaken, and I'm unhappy.

Comment

Pics will be nice. From what I think you are describing you may be able to unscrew the backplate then rotate it so it will not interfere.

Comment

This is the two cocks, side-by-side. The old one's on the left. The offending piece of the new one is the shoulder on its right.

Comparing the two, I've also found that the bolt holes are different spacing. Even if this thing did get on my tank, I'd need new holes to hold it there.

Comment

This is me trying to show that the bolt holes are the wrong spacing.

Comment

It's hard to illustrate, but this is about as close to fitting as it gets. The petcock needs to move closer rim underneath my tank (up in the photo).

Comment

This is another pic of the offending petcock. The problem part can be seen behind the tower filter.

I don't see any way to take it off to reconfigure it to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by rustysparksalot View Post
                    This is another pic of the offending petcock. The problem part can be seen behind the tower filter.

I don't see any way to take it off to reconfigure it to fit.
                    I think you have an L my friend. That old petcock is an L petcock and your trying to put on an E model. I have the 80 E

Comment

Take a picture of the bike and post it if you can, or even just the tank

Comment

nothing to do but put it up for sale and get a proper one.
                        It truly sucks.

You can get K&L brand stuff for a decent price to offset the financial hit a bit.

Comment

BTW I would be interested in buying that petcock as I need one. JeepRusty is correct, a K & L model can be had for under $50

Comment

nejeff, I'm happy to sell this petcock to you.

Comment

Originally posted by rustysparksalot View Post
                              nejeff, I'm happy to sell this petcock to you.
                              Send me a PM to my inbox and lets talk deal

Comment

Working...
                              X