Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L Won't run after carb work

Hi Guys,

I need your help. My bike was dying as if it was running out of gas. It would restart after sitting for some time, but it would die a few miles later. I pulled the carbs removed the easy stuff and soaked the jets. The only problem I found was on of the choke pistons was stuck. Thinking I was not getting fuel I replaced the needle valves and check fuel flow to the carb all the way to draining the bowls.

Sadly the bike would not start. After hours of trying I can get the bike to start on full choke if I don't give it any gas. It will run for a few minutes on full choke. If I touch the throttle it dies. If I move the chke setting it will die. Once it dies it will not start again until it sits for an hour or so. The idle setting does not seem to make any difference. 1983 gs550l with two mikuni carbs.

Please help. Thanks, Scott

Are you trying thisd with the airbox fully installed?

Comment

Air Box

Yes I tried without the air box think it should at least start but then remembered the air box issue. The air box is install. Thanks

Comment

Damnation!
        SO my easy fix is gone.

Carb bowls are filling with fuel fine.........

Comment

Yes carb bowls are full. Looks like I wasted my money replacing the needle valves. No change. Thanks again.

Comment

hmmmm well introspection is what is needed.
            That bike with clean carbs, air box installed, exhaust installed and with no leaks in the intake boots should start and run.

Did you disturb the idle adjustment needle valves?

I have also had a problem with the choke circuit in that the pick up tube was partly blocked.

As for the new parts just be thankful it is only two of each part.

Comment

You need to use "choke" in Hawaii?
              Anyways, pulling jets and cleaning them is nice, but this doesn't ensure clean passages from pilot jets up thru and into carb throats- if they are gunked up, not enough fuel and engine will fall flat. Did this problem come on suddenly?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Prior to doing any work, the bike would suddenly die even at constant freeway speed like it was no getting gas. So I am thinking it is not something that would slowly degrade. The weird thing is the bike will start at full choke (which should not be required in Honolulu) and run for a few minutes, but like before I pulled the carbs, it needs to sit a while before it will start again.

Comment

Form what you describe it sounds as if it is doing what mine does when it runs out of gas.

When the bowls are starved of fuel it is often a real PITA to get them primed again. But as you say your bowls are full.

Regardless of anything else your experiencing a lean condition as evidenced by the effect of the choke on starting.

Comment

I pulled the carbs again and disassembled. Main jets needed cleaning but no smoking gun. I installed the carbs and airbox. No changed whatsoever. I get a little chug if the choke is on full, but the engine only cranks. The carb bowls are full and not sign of flooding. Any suggestions? I gotta ride this weekend! Thanks

Comment

Sounds like a collapsing or kinked fuel line.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

maybe try running it on prime in order to bypass the vacuum hose and diaphraghm as a source of the problems.

Comment

How much fuel is actually in the tank? Its got to have about 1 gallon in it to NOT have to be set to REServe. Do the PRIme and leave it there trick like Jeepster said. If it stays running, quickly shift over to REServe and see if it stays running. If so, get it filled up.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Before I did any work on it, it always seemed to run better on a full tank. Once I burned over two gallons of gas it started acting like it was running out of gas. Filled it up and it ran great for another couple gallons. It seems to have gotten progressively worse. Or maybe just a coincidence. I can't seem to figure it out. The more I do the worse it gets.

Comment

You better remove petcock and see if the filter is gunked up. This would restrict fuel flow as tank level falls.
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X