No announcement yet.

GS550L Won't run after carb work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I tested the petcock, lines and fuel filter. I get plenty of gas in the bowl, but I can't figure out why it is not starting. It is not electircal because after sitting for a while it will start and run with full choke for a minute, but if I touch the throttle it will quit. I replaced the float valves just in case, but no change. The tank is full so I have pressure. I have the idle mix screws at 3 and a half, and I have tried several different settings.

Comment

3 1/2...HOLY CHIT!!!! Theres a problem right there..WAY WAY too rich. Set them back to lightly seated and go out 2 turns. I would also pull them right out and see if theres any bent or chipped tips on the screws. If so, get the pilot holes in the back of the throat cleared of any tip pieces that may be stuck in them.

Also, you gotta let these 4 cyclinder bikes warm up before trying to apply the throttle..good minute at least. I start my bikes and ease off the choke till its around 1500 to 2000 RPMs and let it sit for a minute. If the cylinders are cold it will simply stall right away if you try to give it some gas.

The cylinders NEED the heat to help vaporize the intake mixture so it burns better. Try these and report back as to how she does then.

EDIT...Pull and clean the plugs as good as you can too..bet they are pretty sooty.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-27-2013, 09:23 AM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

HTML Code:
         If so, get the pilot holes in the back of the throat cleared of any tip pieces that may be stuck in them.
        Chuck wouldn't an '83 have CV Carburetors?
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yes your right...I was referring to the hole the mixture screws fit in to at then top..down inside the hole. My "termionology" for it was probably wrong.

I meant to check the bottom of the holes of the screws show signs of chipping or anything broke off them. Should be able to see any little specks of brass down them with a good flashlight.

I have only had 1 CXV carbed bike and that was quite a while ago..My brain is stuck on the VMs because all my current Suzukis have them.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Maybe test the slides by blowing some air into the oval port at the tops. See if the sldies all move and if they are moving in sync with each other.

I persoanllay think CV carbs were the worst thing to do to any bike.

Comment

HTML Code:
              My brain is stuck on the VMs because all my current Suzukis have them.
              Not a bad place to be they are very nice carburetors.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

VMs are for sure way easier to work on and tune than CVs are. The one bike i had with the was the 82 1100 that Stahlgrau333 up in Norman Oklahoma has now.

Comment

3.5 is 1 - 1.5 too many turns. Ill bet you plugs are now fouled compounding the problem.
                  As I said this bike hates running out of gas it is super hard to start even on prime when it does so.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will check. But with this type of carb how many turns out should the mix screws be set at?

Comment

mine are set at 2.5 I think.
                      I could go check but its raining.

Comment

Uodate: This is driving me crazy.

The bike starts and runs on starting fuild. Sounds awesome.

If I pull the gas line off the carb I get a steady flow of gas.

When I pulled the carbs I carefully removed the bowls without tiping and both were plenty full.

I checked all the passageways I could see and blew carb cleaner and compressed air through. I soaked and visually checked each jet before I reassembled the carb.

The plugs are not wet after cranking the started repeatedly. They look good.

The bike ran OK before I touched the carbs. But it would quit for no apparent reason and not restart until it sat for a while.

What could be stopping the flow of gas from the bowl to the cylinders?

Somebody please tell me what I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by scott808 View Post
                          Uodate: This is driving me crazy.

The plugs are not wet after cranking the started repeatedly.

What could be stopping the flow of gas from the bowl to the cylinders?

Somebody please tell me what I am missing?
                          I enjoy being redundant !.... that stuff about plugs not wet after cranking

"Anyways, pulling jets and cleaning them is nice, but this doesn't ensure clean passages from pilot jets up thru and into carb throats- if they are gunked up, not enough fuel and engine will fall flat. "
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Normally I would agree with you, but the bike was funning fairly well before I started and although I did not perform a complete carb overhaul to GSForum standards. I did check very little passageway. The bike should a least start or chug a little. Without the starting fluid I can't get anything unless the choke is on full. There must be something else.

Comment

Large O rings between the intake stubs and cylinder head are probably shrunk and allowing massive amounts air to be drawn in first when cranking engine during start up attempts.Engine cylinders are filling mostly with air:very little gas in the mixture.Air/gas mixture ratio is mostly air,will not ignite in cylinders(too little fuel=dry spark plugs).Pull carbs and remove intake stubs and install new proper size O rings.

Comment

What have you got for voltage at the coils, a weak spark there may not fire gasoline but would starting fluid.
                                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                                X