Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it kicks over abit then nothing. I will figure it out sometime

Comment

Have you done a compression test on each of your cylinders? Get yourself a tester that has a 12mm adapter and see if you have enough compression.

I have an 1984 GS550L. Just started it up tonight after letting it sit for 11 years. Rebuilt the carbs. I have the same problem as you. It starts with the choke but will not run without the choke on. When I twist the throttle it stalls. Once I get a 12mm adapter for my compression tester I will check compression.

Let us know if you make any progress.

Comment

well mine hasn't started. it ran great right after I cleaned and new orings in my carbs,, fired right up and idled, rev'd up real quick, sounded real sweet.. now the damn thing wont even catch with gas or ether after turning over.. been trying for 2 weeks... stick it in the back of the garage and it can sit..

Comment

Originally posted by dark7068 View Post
          well mine hasn't started. it ran great right after I cleaned and new orings in my carbs,, fired right up and idled, rev'd up real quick, sounded real sweet.. now the damn thing wont even catch with gas or ether after turning over.. been trying for 2 weeks... stick it in the back of the garage and it can sit..
          it don't sound like carbs are the issue..

Comment

ive had the carbs off about 5 times making sure I didn't forget something and clean spotless.. the thing ran great right after I put it together and adjusted it.. now just turns over and drains the battery... not cool

Comment

I appreciate everyone's attention to the carbs, but are you looking at the ignition too (didn't see a response to hjfisk's post below)?

Are you checking for spark? Is it fat and blue?

Are you charging the battery between attempts to start?

What's your voltage at the coils? Across battery? <- those two should be within about 1V of each other.

Spark plugs new, or at least clean (insulator end soaked in white vinegar overnight to clean)?

What's your cap -> cap resistance across each coil?

Also, have we checked valve clearances yet?

Are the carbs getting bench sync'd before re-installation?

All clamps and boots tight and in good shape?

(If you can get it to start and idle for a bit) Are all the pipes getting hot at the same rate?

You can have a mixture that's a bit off and still run. You can have weak spark and still run. You can have somewhat tight valves and still run. You can be somewhat out of sync and still run. Try to run with all of these things a little bit off and maybe not so much...

In the early days my bike would occasionally die on me. It would run great for a while, then just die. But it wasn't a "running out of fuel" death, like it lost power, sputtered and coughed then eventually gave up - it was full-bore to nothing. The igniter was overheating and would just die. Let it sit for 15 minutes or so and it would start again and go another half hour until it died again. Later I would have issues with stalling at stops. That was largely weak spark, coupled with needle seat o-rings that were leaking and giving a bit of a rich run.

Carbs can certainly be maddening at times, but you might be looking at multiple issues here.

Comment

I have spark its kinda weak but there, I let battery charge between trying to start,, voltage is 12.65.. should be plenty to start Id think. float bowls are filling up.. im done for now lol

Comment

what is goin on, removed and inspected both carbs Again and still wont start. put fuel down spark plug holes and started for a sec so it has to be carb related right?.

Comment

Scott, I got mine to run idle and rev good.. It was my floats weren't set right.. they were around 15mm or so, which apparently is to low.. they need to be 20.5mm or close.. I reset mine to 20.5ish and it starts real quick,, maybe check your float height again?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                      I appreciate everyone's attention to the carbs, but are you looking at the ignition too (didn't see a response to hjfisk's post below)?
                      How can there be a response to his "post below", when his post is 21 posts ABOVE yours?

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        How can there be a response to his "post below", when his post is 21 posts ABOVE yours?

I believe the forum software defaults to displaying the posts in reverse chronological order. Most people, I would imagine, change this immediately to preserve their sanity. It's possible that some don't.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

OK, OK, OK. After four years I FINALLY went in and changed the display order from the default. Honestly didn't bother me though

Comment

While you were there, did you also change it to show 40 posts per page?

Makes it MUCH easier to read longer threads.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

scott808 did you replace the 4 large O rings between the head and intake stubs?

Comment

Working...
                              X