How big is too big? 130 jet still lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big is too big? 130 jet still lean

Ok its a 1978 gs 750 with a mac header and PODS. Needle is raised to it highest spot and im at a 130 main jet Have NOT touched the pilot Jet. It runs fine but plugs tell me a different story. They say its super lean. Ok i was expecting to go up jet sizes but 130 sounds a little too big to be lean since i started at a 100 main. No vacume leaks and it doesn't stumble at all. I just dont want to burn a hole in my piston. do ignore the plugs or keep going up? Do i put shims under the clip or mess with the pilot jet?

at what point are the plugs telling you its running lean? cruising speed, WOT or where?

have you done plug chops to show you this result?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      at what point are the plugs telling you its running lean? cruising speed, WOT or where?

have you done plug chops to show you this result?
      Well I took it out on the high way and took her through the gears warmed her up and lugged it a little and ran her through again then cruised home checked the plugs LEAN then did the same cycle again and when i got on my street i WOT i first gear and and hit the kill switch at high rpm to see if i got a different reading it was still lean. What r plug chops?

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Well I took it out on the high way and took her through the gears warmed her up and lugged it a little and ran her through again then cruised home checked the plugs LEAN then did the same cycle again and when i got on my street i WOT i first gear and and hit the kill switch at high rpm to see if i got a different reading it was still lean. What r plug chops?
        lol, you have just done one.....
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

ok looked up plug chops i will pull in the clutch next time i do a test.

Comment

I can't help with what jets you actually need, but I want to point out: sometimes fueling issues show up as lean conditions. Pinched fuel line, float heights set wrong, clogged fuel filter, clogged gas tank vent, etc, can all be confused with jetting problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
              I can't help with what jets you actually need, but I want to point out: sometimes fueling issues show up as lean conditions. Pinched fuel line, float heights set wrong, clogged fuel filter, clogged gas tank vent, etc, can all be confused with jetting problems.
              i suppose but i think it would be more noticeable if it was starving for fuel. but i will change the filter and check float hight when i change the jetting again. hmmm i went from a 120 to 130 and the plug didnt change color at all

Comment

Is the needle on the highest notch away from the tip or lowest?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Is the needle on the highest notch away from the tip or lowest?
                  yes on highest notch if i want to raise the needle any more i would have to put shims under the clip.

Comment

I moved the clip DOWN 2 notches too RAISE the needle

Comment

Lowering the needle is leaning meaning the notch farthest away from the tip that goes in the emulsion will be the leanest setting.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        yes on highest notch if i want to raise the needle any more i would have to put shims under the clip.
                        Add as much as you want under the clip, you will NOT raise it any.

The spring under the clip pushes the clip up against its stop. Adding shims under the clip will just push it harder, it will not change the position. To change the needle position, you need to remove shims from above it or move the clip away from the blunt end and toward the pointy end.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

there were no shims or springs on my needle just a clip and five notches. i moved the clip DOWN towards the pointy end.

Comment

Hi,

I found these on some guy's website. I figured they'd be a good reference.

CV Carb Jetting and Cleaning

Plug Chop and
                            Idle Mixture Adjust Methods

(by Mr. koolaid_kid,Mr. tkent02, Mr. psyguy)

Spark Plugs, How to Read

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Bass Cliff lol

I will dig through it so much info so little time in a day
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2013, 01:24 AM. Reason: I Dumb

Comment

Working...
                              X