Bike does not start after running for a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike does not start after running for a while

I have a 1982 gs1100 katana. If the bike sits for about 30minutes the bike will start right up but if I ride the bike, and shut it of and than try to start it immediately after running, the bike will not start. I have ridden the bike for more than 2hours and than I shut it off and it wont start but if I let it sit for about 30min, than it will start right up, I would think its the stator but my headlights and everything electrical charges perfectly when I'm running the bike. Is there some kind of test I can do on this starting problem I'm having. Not sure what I should test to fix my problem. Thanks for any help on this.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM.

Carry a spare spark plug- next time it refuses to start, pull off a plug lead and stick this spare in plug cap and hold plug against engine and crank to see if it's sparking.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No it has plenty of spark, because when just give it a slight push and pop the clutch the bike will start right up, but the battery does not have the juice to crank the starter but only for the first 30min after riding the bike. (and it is a new battery the old one had the same problem so I don't think its the battery) It kind of sucks because every time I go get gas I have to shut the bike off to pump gas and than I have to push that 1100cc monster and pop the clutch to start it... It starts like a champ every time I push start it, I have a loud exhaust so I scare the **** out of everyone at the gas station while I ghetto clutch pop start my katana up LOL.

Comment

OK, based on that new additional info, I'd wildly speculate that your starter motor has a problem- sitting in crankcase it gets toasty warm and is not happy till it cools down a bit, but this seems strange. When it does this no start stuff, can you tell if starter motor is actually turning engine over? or does it seem like it ain't engaging?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like what I just went through with mine. Clean all your contacts to the battery. I did and now its fine. Thought it was my starter too.
          No signature

Comment

what did you do with your starter trevor? did you just change it out with a new one?? I'm not sure if the bike has no juice to start or the starter gets stuck, I guess I could put an amp meter on it after I stop riding to see if the battery has full 12v..

Comment

Originally posted by 00. View Post
              what did you do with your starter trevor? did you just change it out with a new one?? I'm not sure if the bike has no juice to start or the starter gets stuck, I guess I could put an amp meter on it after I stop riding to see if the battery has full 12v..
              No, the starter was fine. My bike too was not starting very well after it was hot. Then last week I was getting a tick tick when I hit the starter button. Battery fine. Bump start very easy. When Rob and I were investigating he had me use sand paper to clean the connections to the battery and viola....it started on it's own.
              No signature

Comment

Working...
              X