1980 Gs1000 oil leak near exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Gs1000 oil leak near exhaust

First off, I'm so glad to have found this forum. I just bought a 1980 GS1000gl with 5500 miles on it. I've gone through and changed all of the fluids and plugs. Everything seems to be going well, except this small leak on the upper cylinder. At first I thought it may have been the seal next to where the oil is. I got a torque wrench and torqued all of the cylinder bolts to 27fp. Now I'm starting to think it may be the exhaust gasket. I just posted this to see if anyone else can shed some light.

Thanks!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. WizardofWisdom,

It's possible that your cam chain tensioner is leaking and the oil is getting blown around the fins. It's a common symptom that is easily fixed. See: Replace seals in cam chain tensioner

I don't remember if I've greeted you properly, so here's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Just a guess but I'm thinking it's your head gasket or the o-ring that's in the head, all part of replacing your head gasket. An exhaust gasket leak will not leak oil. Look at this parts fiche and you'll see the gasket/o-ring. Is there oil anywhere else on the engine, front or back?

Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hey Rob,

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Just a guess but I'm thinking it's your head gasket or the o-ring that's in the head,...
        Yes, that's possible. It seems there's a lot more oil on the fins below the head gasket than on the head gasket itself, or the fin just below the head gasket, which have almost none. I'm still thinking a cam chain tensioner leak is getting blown around the engine.

To Mr. WizardofWisdom, you can always use the spray powder trick. Clean the engine, spray some foot powder, run the engine, and look for the wet spot.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hey Rob,

Yes, that's possible. It seems there's a lot more oil on the fins below the head gasket than on the head gasket itself, or the fin just below the head gasket, which have almost none. I'm still thinking a cam chain tensioner leak is getting blown around the engine.

To Mr. WizardofWisdom, you can always use the spray powder trick. Clean the engine, spray some foot powder, run the engine, and look for the wet spot.

BassCliff
          That's an awesome idea! It's all on the top, front, left side. I don't see any leakage anywhere else. That's why I thought it had something to do with the exhaust gasket. it's not showing up anywhere else. I'll try that out and post a picture.

Comment

if it is at the front i doubt very much if it is the camchain tensioner.
            i agree with head gasket or possibly even valve cover gasket, especially the half moons.

pop the round cam end cover off on the front left, see if there is any signs of a leak there.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Look at the center front of the engine. A leak on the front ot the valve cover is common in front ot the cam chain. The oil often ends up there. Tach drive leak oil often ensd up there too. It looks like you have a pretty big leak. Major sources should be fairly simple to find.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

So, I tried the foot spray method, and it does seem to be the cylinder head gasket. Any recommendations on gasket brands or walkthroughs?

Thanks,

Comment

The same fella that recommended the powder trick to you is doing an excellent walk through.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                  Rob
                  1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    The same fella that recommended the powder trick to you is doing an excellent walk through.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=208563

Awesome! Thanks. I'm not sure if this is in my wheelhouse yet. This is my second week as a bike owner. Haha. Changing my fluids wasn't hard, but dealing with timing chains might be a little over my head.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2013, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X