Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing fork seals with out installing new seals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing fork seals with out installing new seals.

Hello

My bike had a leaking fork seal. All the obvious signs were there. I order a new set of seals no line and they arrived. Then I did some more searching on you tube and a product came up called seal mate. It is a little flexible plastic tool that you insert into the forks and then drag around the fork to pull out any dirt. Well I was a bit skeptical but I figured for five dollars I would try it and see if I could avoid a seal swap for now. I tried it today and it works. Pretty simple to use also. So for any one thinking about the seal mate. Just want you to know it worked for me. The principle behind this tool is as you drag it around the fork and through the seal it brings the dirt with it. The dirt is was causes a bad seal most of the time according to the manufacturer. Not sure if that is true because I dont know much about bikes. But either way it worked for me. Just thought I put that out there.

Adios

link...picture? Ebay thing or from a cycle store?
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

interesting

Seal Mate has helped fix leaking fork seals on over 100,000 motorcycles worldwide. We guarantee it will fix your leaky seals or we'll refund you in full. FREE USA Shipping.

Comment

yup, one can make it out of the jug your bleach is in, after it's empty, or even using some old camera film, but in this day and age of digital crap, getting film might be hard for some.....

but for 5 bucks I guess one can't go wrong...

Comment

I sent a picture of it to my dad and he said back in the day he carried a plastic chunk from a soda bottle on enduros to do the same thing.

New to me but as always the old guys knew

Comment

I bought from this ebay seller and I recommend him. The first one I recieved i damaged and he sent me two more for free. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140818428402...84.m1439.l2649

Comment

From what I understand I may have received a thinner model. He sent me two that he said are the new style and are a little thicker. Worked like a charm. I have the seals sitting in the tool box to change on day. But I still have the seal mate and it can be re used.

Comment

and I can make one out of a coke bottle or any piece of plastic trash i have around now that i've seen it. thanks!

Comment

I am gonna cut myself one out of a butter bowl lid.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've used a business card to do the same works on a dirty seal won't help a cracked or worn seal
                    sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                    1994 gsxr1100w
                    1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

A feeler guage works fine, and you have several thicknesses to choose from.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I cut one out of a butter bowl lid in just a minute or less. I have weapy right seal on the 77 750.. New seals with less than 2,000 miles on them. I was gonna replace them , but I will give this a try first.

Comment

My left fork seal is leaking and I will try this tonight. I looked up in there and didn't see and rips/tears in the seal put don't know if you would necessarily see one anyways. I'll report back my results.
                          1979 GS850G
                          2004 SV650N track bike
                          2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                          LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Glad this was a help. Let me know how the home made versions of this work.

Comment

Just saved me a whole lot of un necessary work. As soon as I saw this last night I cleaned both seals with a random piece of plastic... worked like a charm. THANKS!!

Comment

Working...
                              X