Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing fork seals with out installing new seals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeanMora77 View Post
    Just saved me a whole lot of un necessary work. As soon as I saw this last night I cleaned both seals with a random piece of plastic... worked like a charm. THANKS!!
    That is what I like to hear.

Comment

I will be doing the seals on the 77 750 in the next few days in preperation for a ride up to Norman Oklahoma.

I will report back when I get back from there around the 25th.

But for now, it sounds as if its the fix that I might need. I cant imagine the seals ( which arent that old and hadnt leaked before ) should be bad. I am hoping its just crap stuck in there too.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Didn't friggin work for me. I slide up a piece of plastic and went around 4-5 times with no change. I did get fork oil to come down out of the fork though. I have USD forks on the GSXR.

Time to order seals.
        1979 GS850G
        2004 SV650N track bike
        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
          Didn't friggin work for me. I slide up a piece of plastic and went around 4-5 times with no change. I did get fork oil to come down out of the fork though. I have USD forks on the GSXR.

Time to order seals.
          Did any debris come out? I would cut a piece of plastic that resembles the seal mate tool and use it just like a seal mate. You might have just dragged the debris around if you did not get any out.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            I cut one out of a butter bowl lid in just a minute or less. I have weapy right seal on the 77 750.. New seals with less than 2,000 miles on them. I was gonna replace them , but I will give this a try first.
            Did it work? btw: stop by on your journey.
            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
            80 gs1000s

Comment

Havent gotten over to swipe the seals yet Greg...I will probably have some time Tuesday to swipe them and drain the forks to redo the oil levels.

Once one is less than the other, the best course of action is to drain them nboth and remeasure the oil in each one again..otherwise your not gonna ever keep the oil the same .
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhammer View Post
                Did any debris come out? I would cut a piece of plastic that resembles the seal mate tool and use it just like a seal mate. You might have just dragged the debris around if you did not get any out.
                I cut a piece out the best I could that resembles the seal mate. No debris came out and I tried a bunch of times. Sliding the plastic around and pulling it downward as I slide it out. Maybe I just have a tear in the seal. I'm going to find out as I ordered new seals.
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Worked for me!!! My home made one did the trick as advertised. I swept the seals and went both ways..made 2 or 3 passes.

Put the required amounts of fresh fork oil in and rode it around and was jacking the front brake rather hard to really work the seals and not so much as a speck out of either of them.

Comment

I'll have to give it a try. If the one that leaks will hold air after cleaning, I'll be a believer.
                    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yeah, this is just a rehash of an old trick. Just about any thin shim of plastic will work. Someone's just making a buck or two off a product just as easily made.

Comment

Quick question...

Noticed a small leak on left fork seal yesterday.

Can I simply remove the dust cover off the fork to use the seal mate, or do I also have to remove the small ring (stopper ring) that is above the fork seal...

There is a metal ring put on after the fork seals on gs400s and 450s...

Comment

Never mind. Hadn't had the dust boot off to take a look.

BTW... 35mm film is hard to come by but acetate isn't. Used old overhead projector paper.

Worked like a charm. Fork not leaking.

Comment

I used it on inverted forks on my Triumph Rocket III. Left was weeping. No more. Seal Mate Worked as advertised.

Comment

650 miles up to Oklahoma and back and not a weep anywhere...Im sold!! I cut mine from a butter bowl top.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                                650 miles up to Oklahoma and back and not a weep anywhere...Im sold!! I cut mine from a butter bowl top.
                                maybe you're more like "copied"
                                1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
                                1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
                                1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Working...
                                X