What is the Pilot Jet Plug for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Pilot Jet Plug for?

I have been reading about my carbs and how they work. I cannot understand why there is a rubber plug covering the Pilot Jet. How can it work if it is plugged up.

Any incite would be appreciated.

Because it doesnt drink gas directly from the bowls like VM carbs do. It drinks thru the pilot circuit inside the body.

If its not plugged the idle cicuit is flooded with raw fuel and it wont run...well not ver well anyway.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Close, Chuck, but not quite.

The pilot circuit actuall gets it fuel from the main jet through a diagonal passage between the two. At low throttle openings, when the pilot circuit is active, there is no restriction imposed by the main jet, so the pilot can pull all it needs. As the throttle is opened farther, the needle circuit starts feeding more fuel. Guess what? It draws its fuel through the main jet, too. By the time the main jet is called into full play, there is not enough fuel being pulled through the pilot circuit to matter, so very little fuel goes through there. However, if that rubber plug were not there, the needle jet could get even more fuel because of the additional open passage.

This diagram from the factory service manual shows it quite well.
      The rubber plug was colored for a previous explaination, I have never bothered to change it back to black because it just works so well.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X