Front caliper bleeder stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front caliper bleeder stuck

Mad as hell to discover one of my front caliper bleeders will not budge and I'm afraid I am going to snap it off. Cheap open wrench I used buggered it up and now vise grips could not even get it off. I ordered a couple replacement bleeders from the local Suzuki shop but I need a quality 8mm wrench. Husky tools have been OK so I'll probably run to Home Depot at lunch. I see now from Basscliff's PDF I shoudl have used a socket wrench to loosen it up. FMW. I sprayed it with WD-40 last night and will try again tonight.

apply heat, and try again

lots of heat, unless your worried about the finish on your calipers...

WD40 sucks, get some PB blaster or Creep, or some sort of penetrating oil....

Comment

A lot of guys on here recommend heating and cooling or molten wax or my own preference of concoctions is: 50% brake fluid and 50% thinners. Put it on the affected part 3 times a day for at least three days. Also (if you have the caliper off) drain the old brake fluid and put the concoction into the chamber so it will reach the bleeder from the other side as well.

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
        A lot of guys on here recommend heating and cooling or molten wax or my own preference of concoctions is: 50% brake fluid and 50% thinners.
        My home brew is a 50/50 mix of acetone & Marvel Mystery oil. Works way better than PB Blaster, IMO.

Take your time with the bleeder & don't snap it off. As stated earlier, disassemble the caliper, pop out the pistons and apply whatever magic potion you prefer from both sides of the bleeder.

FWIW, when I re-install those bleeders, I usually use a little teflon tape on the threads, not so much to seal it but to prevent it from corroding into the caliper body again...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          My home brew is a 50/50 mix of acetone & Marvel Mystery oil. Works way better than PB Blaster, IMO.

Take your time with the bleeder & don't snap it off. As stated earlier, disassemble the caliper, pop out the pistons and apply whatever magic potion you prefer from both sides of the bleeder.

FWIW, when I re-install those bleeders, I usually use a little teflon tape on the threads, not so much to seal it but to prevent it from corroding into the caliper body again...
          good tip.........

i always do the same.........
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Never heard of mixing acetone and MMO, but might help. I use MMO on everything, even on ice cream!

Suggest using a drop of penetrating oil, then heat the snot out of the nipple with a propane torch before trying to get it out of there. If it snaps off, get a left handed drill and it will likely come out.

Comment

Working...
            X