Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

650GD Front wheel not centered...missing a spacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

650GD Front wheel not centered...missing a spacer?

I was looking at my front wheel last night and noticed the tire wasn't centered under the fender (borrowed an 82 fender for now)

Looking at the parts diagram, there appears to be a spacer outboard the speedo drive hub, next to the axle:

It seems to me that spacer was NOT on the axle when I pulled the wheel last week to replace the fender. I'm stuck in a basement right now, but for anybody in the know, does that spacer sit in the pinch clamp of the left fork in a way that it cannot be seen?

If so, can I just push it towards mid-line of the bike to force centering of the wheel?

Unfortunately, this is the best I have from the time I brought it home. The slight gap seen between the fork leg and the speedo hub is not there right now:

Would anyone with a 650G be kind enough to post a closeup photograph of the wheel/hub, showing what this is supposed to look like?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

There is a sleeve captured in the bottom of the left fork. I never thought of it as an adjustment. I guess you could use it as such. It makes sense. I wouldn't adjust it much more than 2 or 3mm or so. I just put my forks back together after rebuilding and I can't remember if I snugged torward the wheel to take up play. Good luck. Look forward to another 650g rider helping me keep the liter boys riding skills sharpe.

cg
    Last edited by Charlie G; 06-09-2013, 02:22 AM.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That does not look any different than my setup Charlie. Thanks for posting.

I don't know about pushing the litre bikers around. Between feeling rusty on two wheels, and a soft, yet bouncy suspension setup, I feel like I am going to have to go easy on the rides next month.

Derrick
      '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        That does not look any different than my setup Charlie. Thanks for posting.

I don't know about pushing the litre bikers around. Between feeling rusty on two wheels, and a soft, yet bouncy suspension setup, I feel like I am going to have to go easy on the rides next month.

Derrick
        I'm just talking. They're a pretty sane bunch of riders.

cg
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Mine looks a little different- note how speedo drive gear "points" more up and no space.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

if you look on the parts diagram for a 83 GS650GD on Alpha sports, it clearly shows the spacer in the left fork has a flange on one end. if this spacer is fitted with the flange on the outer side of the fork leg then you will have a gap between the fork leg and speedo drive. if you fit the spacer with the flange facing inwards then that will remove the slight gap you have.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Hi Agemax,

The right side is okay; setup as you have outlined. The gap on the left is not really there anymore, and based on the fender, the wheel is too far to the left. It rides fine, turns well both left and right, no shudder or uneven wear, but there is quite a bit less tire/fender clearance on the left compared to the right side. The same was true with the original fender, which is being painted.

With the same "issue" with two fenders, perhaps I should be looking for another cause than a misplaced spacer.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

Hi Agemax,

The right side is okay; setup as you have outlined. The gap on the left is not really there anymore, and based on the fender, the wheel is too far to the left. It rides fine, turns well both left and right, no shudder or uneven wear, but there is quite a bit less tire/fender clearance on the left compared to the right side. The same was true with the original fender, which is being painted.

With the same "issue" with two fenders, perhaps I should be looking for another cause than a misplaced spacer.
                that is what i am saying. look at the LEFT spacer. if it is facing the wrong way the wheel will sit to far to the left. the gap will close up if the axle nut is tightened up with the spacer fitted incorrectly
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Aah...trying to read on my minitab. I get what you are saying. I do not remember the sleeve having a flange. Frankly, I do not remember the sleeve/spacer, either. LOL!

Thanks. I will check it out today.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Aah...trying to read on my minitab. I get what you are saying. I do not remember the sleeve having a flange. Frankly, I do not remember the sleeve/spacer, either. LOL!

Thanks. I will check it out today.
                    I see the spacer on the parts fiche, but I don't see it on my bike. Other side has spacer washer, but unless speedo drive was undercut (very unlikely) there is no spacer! that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

look at BIG D's first pic. you can clearly see it. the flange side of the spacer is on the outside face of the fork leg, with a gap to the inside. the axle should be flush to the face of the fork leg not spaced out slightly as you can clearly see
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

look at the pic, swap spacer around, axle fits flush, gap filled, wheel centralised.

1978 GS1085.

Comment

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Lokk at post 30 and see if this applies to your bike. Rotate fork lower 180 dergrees to change clearance.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...91#post1878791

Lokk at post 30 and see if this applies to your bike. Rotate fork lower 180 dergrees to change clearance.

cg
                            if you rotate the fork lower 180 degrees, the fender mounts will face outwards!
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              if you rotate the fork lower 180 degrees, the fender mounts will face outwards!
                              Yes, I didn't put much thought into my last post. If you want me to measure some points on my bike let me know.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                              X