Got the tank and fender fixed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the tank and fender fixed...

I didn't have the time, patience, tools, or skills to do this myself. Painter was able to save the tank decals, and I used Brian Dallner's decals for the front fender. There are a couple of very small things about the restoration that I probably wouldn't leave if I was doing it myself, but I can live with it without incurring a huge extra expense at this point. Some of it has more to do with the tank manufacture actually...not sure if it is noticeable if you didn't know what you were looking for.

Pretty happy with the results, and I can't wait to see what it is going to look like remounted on the bike. I should try to get some images with a simpler background, as there is too much being reflected in the paint. The clearcoat before is what it looked like when I was gifted the motorcycle. The dent in the right crown of the tank happened when I pulled it off the bench while using it as a remote tank during tuning (doh!):

And a couple of teaser shots of the fender.

Before:

'83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Looks like a spot on job and will transform the bike.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Looking good. How did the painter deal with the clear coat on the tank and still save the decals?

Jim
      1981 GS550T (Long gone)
      1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

A very nice save, for sure. He did a great job saving the decals, especially where the dent was. He's to be commended.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

very nice job indeed. have you sorted out the alignment problem on the front yet?
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

WOW, stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
              Looking good. How did the painter deal with the clear coat on the tank and still save the decals?

Jim
              In my excitement, I forgot to ask HOW he dealt with the old base and clear coat. It was very magical for sure, and way, WAY beyond what I would have been able to do myself.

I've followed up with an email asking about something else, and also asked if if wouldn't mind sharing the details of what he did to get through the clear without killing the decals.

I know the decal around the dent had to be cut back a bit, and he colour matched and filled what he had to take out.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                very nice job indeed. have you sorted out the alignment problem on the front yet?
                My painter was a tech rep (?)/advisor with BASF North America for years before he switched over to painting full time. He's got a pretty good eye for colours, etc.

The "alignment" is odd. It is definitely setup the way the service manual says it should be, and there is nothing untoward in the handling/wear of the tire. It just looks off relative to the fork brace, and is very noticeable, but I had no problems getting the discs into the brake calipers.

GSJim, do you notice with your 650GD that the wheel looks a little left-shifted under the fender?
                '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post

Jim
                  I asked...he answered in the expected fashion:

It's a Trade Secret!

Given the job he does, that should have come as no surprise.
                  '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    I asked...he answered in the expected fashion:

It's a Trade Secret!

Given the job he does, that should have come as no surprise.
                    It was worth asking. The clear coat on my tank is flaking near the gas cap and would be an smaller fix than your tank. One painter I talked to told me that failing clear coat means a whole new paint job.

Jim
                    1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

I really wish I knew what he did, because there were some other dents and things that he has fixed, that he could not have done without removing some paint. The borrowed tank I have on there right now requires some TLC, as the clear is coming off in little patches, and I would have given it a shot...if Leedam had dished even a little.

I'm afraid Ron is on his own with this one (but I did the majority of the derusting for him.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

It looks great and I'm sure your pleased.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

That looks awesome, I've heard good things about Leedam.
                          Did you get the loaner tank from Ron at the Garage?

Cheers,

David
                          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I wonder how wet sanding just until the peeling is gone and then shooting new clear would work?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I know how he did it!. You gave it away and didn't even know it. The secret is in the BASF. About 6-8 years ago BASF came out with a blending solvent that is truly remarkable. Sprayed straight out of a cup gun, I was able run the clear coat on an 86 Toyota pickup door. ORIGINAL clear. The stuff is truly amazing. I would guess that he used it in combination with his pure skill and patience

Comment

Working...
                              X