how do i start and charge the new pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i start and charge the new pig

Im going to need help with this.. Ive sat down over the last couple nights trying to find a complete diagram with no luck for my 82 gs850g. Everything i found looked completely different then the systems on this bike. I went and carefully removed what was left of the original harness thinking i could simply chop out brakes and signal circuits. I also want to remove the neutral switch as i dont have any indication of it working currently. With this thing laid out on my bench im quite intimidated to start pulling wires without knowing what ties into what. I would love to run new wire and simply hook up a simple ignition circuit using the original coils, Stator, and ignitor. As i look at the cdi box i just see a bunch of wires and have no idea which leads will let me run the motor successfully.

Once ignition is resolved i plan to make a simple harness for signal, brake and horn etc. But ideally i want it split into 2 smaller harnesses to run into my frames for a cleaner appearance.. Ignition systems simply stump me and i refuse to start guessing

First of all, you don't have "CDI". That box is simply some transistors that take the place of points, and it is called an "ignitor".

Second, if you have stripped the wiring out of the bike, there isn't much chance of getting it running.

Removing a neutral indicator "because it's not working" does not seem like such a good idea to me.
    Besides, if you live in a state that has vehicle inspections, it might not pass without a neutral light.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 08rangerdan,

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my little website. Be sure to check out ALL of the information in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome". You might be surprised at what you find.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

This is a minimum harness less lights; I know it says 550 but should be similar for your bike,

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

When i pulled out the wiring i did label everything i could. If it comes down to it i could hook it all up on my bench and run the motor out of the bike

Thank god for the link and diagram! I came across that last night but couldn't find it again .
          That diagram has alot of other systems not on my particular model... Makes my eyes go screwy looking at all of it

Comment

Originally posted by 08rangerdan View Post
            When i pulled out the wiring i did label everything i could. If it comes down to it i could hook it all up on my bench and run the motor out of the bike

Thank god for the link and diagram! I came across that last night but couldn't find it again .
            That diagram has alot of other systems not on my particular model... Makes my eyes go screwy looking at all of it
            What is on the schematic that you don't have?

This should be bare minimum if your include a charging system, starter and ignition.

Comment

Not the one you posted but the one posted before. Yours looks very useful to me i just don't quite understand the wording of it. In yours i read 3 leads from the stator shown as 3 yellow wires. On my motor i see 4 wires of different colours.. Blue, yellow, black and green (ground?). Is that true that the order of the wires is irrelevant? I really need to take a closer look at it when i can focus more on it

Comment

Not the one you posted but the one posted before. Yours looks very useful to me i just don't quite understand the wording of it. In yours i read 3 leads from the stator shown as 3 yellow wires. On my motor i see 4 wires of different colours.. Blue, yellow, black and green (ground?). Is that true that the order of the wires is irrelevant? I really need to take a closer look at it when i can focus more on it
                Order of the stator wires does not matter. Also the stator does not have a ground. Sure you are not looking at the R/R?

Comment

The stator being the magneto device under the small cover on the right side of the motor that produces the electricity. That is the lead coming from there. I have 3 similar coloured wires from the top of the motor looking to be what i assume is the starter. Those go back to the rectofier.. Then things get unusual.. On the rectofier we have a green ground, black for power to the brake switch then a single red lead going up into the main harness via connector.. That connector has 3 more main yellow and striped leads which are cut flush. Not sure if that is something involving the neutral safety switch or what
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

The stator being the magneto device under the small cover on the right side of the motor that produces the electricity. That is the lead coming from there. I have 3 similar coloured wires from the top of the motor looking to be what i assume is the starter. Those go back to the rectofier.. Then things get unusual.. On the rectofier we have a green ground, black for power to the brake switch then a single red lead going up into the main harness via connector.. That connector has 3 more main yellow and striped leads which are cut flush. Not sure if that is something involving the neutral safety switch or what
                    Well first of
                    #1 your stator is on the LEFT side of your bike, and the wire,s 3 of them should come out from either under the starter cover or the cover your shift lever is coming out through
                    #2 your ignition pick ups are under the RIGHT side cover , the little round one.
                    And from what I am reading above I believe you need to go to Basscliffs site and download a Free service manual on your bike and learn and understand where the different parts are located and what they do.
                    Not trying to be a Hard azz but you kind of need to know the parts before we can help explain their function and how to make them work.
                    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Ahh ya that could be one of my issues. So new to this im going to be learning pretty fast. Maybe the 3 wires out of the starter cover is the stator itself then. I thought all the business was done under the cover on the right and just gears on the left. I've only ever worked on a 2 stroke 250.. Much less wiring. Only other wires coming from the left side bottom look to be what i thought was sensor leads but could be the starter.. Ill look into it
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                        Well first of
                        #1 your stator is on the LEFT side of your bike, and the wire,s 3 of them should come out from either under the starter cover or the cover your shift lever is coming out through
                        #2 your ignition pick ups are under the RIGHT side cover , the little round one.
                        And from what I am reading above I believe you need to go to Basscliffs site and download a Free service manual on your bike and learn and understand where the different parts are located and what they do.
                        Not trying to be a Hard azz but you kind of need to know the parts before we can help explain their function and how to make them work.
                        .....and if you put your location on your profile, there just MIGHT be someone close by that's willing to give you a hand, or at least some guidance.

Now go back and read BassCliff's website again...ALL of it.

Comment

I wish that were a real possibility but the odds of running into that kind of help is priceless Haha. With some revised knowledge of the motor connections i feel better understanding the the basic starter circuit. Come Monday im going to take a trip and see if i can find any micro inline fuse holders and some smaller connectors to refurbish this harness as i begin to separate it.. Maybe someone has a link to the proper connectors and fuse holders ill need with proper names?? Knowing me ill walk into a electronics store and pick up things that won't be appropriate.. Consealable components are key to this project
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                            Ditto on this. I bought my GS850 knowing very little about motorcycles. There were three things that helped me understand how the bike works. In rough order of importance:

1. The factory service manual
                            2. This forum
                            3. YouTube videos

Before you go hacking up (or attempting to repair) the electronics, I'd highly recommend taking a week off from working directly on the bike and reading the factory service manual in your free time. Even the parts that you're not interested in right now, because eventually you will be interested in them.

When you come back to the bike, you'll look at it and go, "Holy crap! I know how this thing works now!"

EDIT: I re-read this and realized that it might sound like I'm implying that you don't know anything about motorcycles... I don't meant to imply such a thing at all. It may in fact be only the electrical side of things that you're less familiar with. Even if that's the case, I hope my advice is still helpful.
                            Last edited by eil; 06-21-2013, 12:27 PM.
                            Charles
                            --
                            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Lol im not insulted by any means. I simply don't know much about motos and im reading everything i can and attempting to make sense of it all. Electrical drawings seem so obscure to me. Especially the lingo written on them.. I found a hi-res factory service manual last night which has a faintly readable drawing in it complete with the location of the original harness on the frames. I will need to print that off and start highlighting the circuits i want then start pulling them off the harness..

Since half of the connectors are in sad shape im going to need to redo the whole thing

Comment

Working...
                              X