No announcement yet.

how do i start and charge the new pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a link to an 850GLZ wiring diagram on BassCliff's site, but it appears to be broken. You might PM him to let him know and ask if he has a backup copy somewhere.

Regarding the wiring diagram from the manual... yes, that one's a bit of a pain to read. I was suggesting reading the service manual because there are explanations and simplified wiring diagrams contained within that will help you understand how each electrical subsystem works.

For example, page 316 of the PDF (14-45 in the book) has an explanation of the electronic ignition system. You can probably safely ignore the narrative on how a transistor works (why they included that in the service manual, I have no idea) but down towards the bottom of the page they have a neat little diagram of the ignition system which clearly shows that the main components are the signal generators, the ignitor, and the coils.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Oh, and I almost forgot: for more than you ever wanted to know about the charging system, I present the stator papers: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

i went and made up a 'rough' sketch. every drawing ive used has a different method of displaying the basic circuit but maybe someone can tell me if im close..

i tried to use as much of this drawing here

but i ended up using the high resolution drawing for the gs850gl. the wire colouring was much more accurate for what i have.. compared to the 550 schematic.

here i attempt to create a basic ignition and charge circuit.. maybe not ideally organised but tell me what im missing if anything. zoom in on link.. done it on paint :/

bike is an 82 gs850g model

note: BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN, and BLACK lead on my ignitor to the SIGNAL GENERATOR,, doesnt compare to the 550 ignitor or signal generator diagram shown in link

note: all grounds or framed earths to be used as pictured

attached file:
        Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by eil View Post
          There's a link to an 850GLZ wiring diagram on BassCliff's site, but it appears to be broken. You might PM him to let him know and ask if he has a backup copy somewhere.
          Yes, I'll have to recreate that section of my little website. But I do have those diagrams backed up online.

Here's the unmolested diagram for the '82 GS850GL:

Here's a link to the diagram minus the auto-cancel turn signals:

*** minus auto-cancel turn signals, plus hazard lights, plus driving lights:

GS850GLZ_Wiring_Diagram_minus auto cancel turn signals_plus_hazard lights_plus_drl.jpg

*** minus auto-cancel, plus hazard:

GS850GLZ_Wiring_Diagram_minus auto cancel turn signals_plus_hazard lights.jpg

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You are missing enough stuff to make the bike not legal in many States, not sure how many Provinces would also frown on it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 08rangerdan View Post
              i went and made up a 'rough' sketch. every drawing ive used has a different method of displaying the basic circuit but maybe someone can tell me if im close..

i tried to use as much of this drawing here

but i ended up using the high resolution drawing for the gs850gl. the wire colouring was much more accurate for what i have.. compared to the 550 schematic.

here i attempt to create a basic ignition and charge circuit.. maybe not ideally organised but tell me what im missing if anything. zoom in on link.. done it on paint :/

bike is an 82 gs850g model

note: BLUE, YELLOW, GREEN, and BLACK lead on my ignitor to the SIGNAL GENERATOR,, doesnt compare to the 550 ignitor or signal generator diagram shown in link

note: all grounds or framed earths to be used as pictured

attached file:
              Not sure where you are heading with this, but in the 550 schematic I showed all connectors and the fuse box and the modifications for a single point ground.

Unless you plan to omit all of those things, it would be worth including. Also from what i know Suzuki was pretty consistent on the GS's in continuing the same color codes although there appeared to be different teams working on the electrical system of different bikes. At least they mandated consistent colors so I'm not sure what is different between a 550 and an 850. Those colors you show to the ignitor don't appear to be stock.

My original file is PowerPoint so it should be easy to modify.

Comment

the only thing i need from this wiring at this point is the systems to start and run the bike. . Nothing else. I need to understand one system before i move on.. My mind works slowly trying to figure it out. Keeping it simple is key! Lighting comes later and preferably separate from the main harness Im trying to refine.

BassCliff
                I cannot view those skydrive backup files on My mobile.. They don't zoom. Ill try on the pc tonight

I know the harness is not aftermarket. I do have a factory schematic showing all appropriate and relevant colouring. The only thing that doesn't compare is my RR.. It must be aftermarket.

Here's a screen shot of the ignitor from my gs850gd/gld drawing

I don't want a fuse box. Just inline fuses to keep out bulky components. I only illustrated a half assed connector for the signal generator connection to the ignitor as its a different hookup compared to the 550. I left those connections loose in the sketch but just assume they are plugged into its place. As for a single ground Im not particular but for the ease of the visual i grounded everything as seen to keep the mess down

From what is seen (below) (where everything connects too) will that wiring be turn key?? Or do i need other power or ground connections? Inline fuses in correct positions? ...etc.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X