Can't get the 9th steel plate out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get the 9th steel plate out

Is that 9th steel plate supposed to come out? I ask because it is the only one I cannot get out of the clutch basket using a couple pick tools along the edge as I did to remove the previous 17 discs. Seems like it is stuck in there but I've never done this before!

80GS1100E
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 10:02 PM. Reason: more info

There is a retaining wire that is holding it in. This may not be the best description but look at the pressure plate closely.

Comment

hmm, i heard about this wire and that it is a pain. Maybe I will leave this last steel in there. I've got 8 out plus the 9 fibers...

Could it hurt?

Comment

Is it nice and clean silver or all blueish color? if it is clean you should be ok with leaving it in. That being said if it was my bike I would pull it.
        My stable
        84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
        85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
        88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
        98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
        90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
        06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
        00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

I see in the manual it says you should always use a new piano wire clip, so since i do not have one i think i am going to leave it and leave the last steel in...

Comment

Mission accomplished: no more slipping at high engine speed acceleration and no more clunky take off from stopped. So happy!

Comment

What did you do to fix it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                What did you do to fix it?
                Replaced the 8 of the nine steels and all fibre disks. Had already replaced springs. All oem parts. Next time I'll order a new piano wire.

Comment

Originally posted by stetracer View Post
                  Is it nice and clean silver or all blueish color? if it is clean you should be ok with leaving it in. That being said if it was my bike I would pull it.
                  It was not nice and clean silver, but did not look completely worn out Without having a spare new piano wire I didn't want to pull it. Though I think I've read some people have installed the plates without a wire(?) I have no idea the consequences.

Comment

For future reference the clutch wiull work fine without the "piano wire" in there. All it does is help disengage the clutch when the oil is not up to operating temp.

Comment

Working...
                    X