Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'77 GS400 Wiring Harness Questions

Hello there everyone!

I am the proud owner of a 77 gs400. Bought her 2 years ago..rode for the summer and stored her away as a restore project. After tearing everything off - I get to the wiring. Things are bad. I'd like to remove it to repaint the frame, but I don't think its going to go back on, its that brittle.

My question is, is anyone aware of any company or service I can turn to; to have a new harness built? Due to the age, I cannot find any shops within a 50 mile radius that will touch it.

If that isn't an option, I'm not sure what else to do other than do it myself. I do have the correct wiring diagram but electricity and I do not get along..at all...haha.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Douge489,

If you don't want to build a wiring harness yourself then you'll have to look for a good used one on eBay or find a parts bike with a good harness. Let me give you some more supporting documentation. Please read ALL of the information in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Douge489 View Post
      ? Due to the age, I cannot find any shops within a 50 mile radius that will touch it.
      Yeah, we get that a lot here... and based on the results we've seen, it's probably for the best.

Originally posted by Douge489 View Post

If that isn't an option, I'm not sure what else to do other than do it myself. I do have the correct wiring diagram but electricity and I do not get along..at all...haha.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
      The problem with a DIY harness is that you have to interface it with existing bar controls, instrumentation, lighting and ignition. If you're sure it's shot, I'd guess ebay, as previously suggested, but that harness (if you find one) won't be any newer.

Maybe stick with the existing harness, paint around it and see if it can be bolstered where it's necessary (see Eastern Beaver's headlight relay setup, for example, which I recommend) and the coil relay mod described on BassCliff's site.

On the elderly harnesses, it's usually the connections that go south and cause problems, rather than the wire, but if the insulation is cracking -- well, there aren't many permanent solutions to that that I can think of, except using harness wrap (the helical stuff) or similar.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I see on BikeBandit they sell the complete wiring harness:

Comment

If they sell it on BB then you should be able to find it at other dealers such as Alpha Sports or Boulevard Suzuki for a lower price. (BB tends to be the highest of all on-line dealers.)

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Angerhouse View Post
            I see on BikeBandit they sell the complete wiring harness:
            http://www.bikebandit.com/1978-suzuk...7990#sch280452
            BikeBandit may show a part number, but I'm not sure of the availability.

For the 1977 model, #1 in the fiche picture is part number 36610-44000. It shows no longer available at GSSuzuki.com or alpha-sports.com.

For the 1978 model the part number is 36610-44003 (supersedes: 36610-44001 36610-44002) and does show as available. Perhaps that will be close enough, if you'd like to buy a new one.

Parts fiche picture of the 1978 wiring harness:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X