Quick fix for leaky tire bead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick fix for leaky tire bead

I finally addressed the slow leak in my front tire.
    To be fair, this is not my idea, but i haven't seen it addressed on here, so hopefully my search will benefit others who start their search on this site.

No punctures, scrapes, etc, so i sprayed it with soapy water and found 2 spots along the bead just barely leaking, but would explain why i was 5 pounds low twice a week. I probably should have dismounted the tire, but like most humans, I'm trying to do 2 hours of work in 1, and so i tried this:
    Tools:
    Large C clamp
    Small scrap of wood, i found a piece of 1x3 about 8 inches long
    Silicon spray
    Sandpaper, flat screwdriver, putty knife, (something to scrape/cleanwith)
    Spray bottle with soapy water

-Inflate the tire
    -Find the leak(s) then mark where they are.
    -Deflate the tire as much as possible
    -Open up the C clamp and place the solid end on the tire just off the rim, where your mark is
    -On the other side, place your wood scrap partly on the rim and partly on the tire, and this is what the threaded end of your clamp will screw against.
    -Screw the clamp until you can see a good bit of rim, and it looks like the tire is getting away from the outer edge, but not so much that you unseat the bead. I went about 1/8" at first, then a smidge more.
    -i had lots of black gook in there, and sprayed silicon, then used the screwdriver to GENTLY scrape it out. I was able to clean it well enough to not need the sandpaper. Then i sprayed it again, with the idea that the lube would help the tire slide all the way to the edge.
    -inflate the tire over the recommended PSI to seat it (I went to 65), then air it down to your preferred level.

In my case both leaks stopped on the first try, YMMV.

DISCLAIMER: This is not the proper and complete repair for a leaky tire. This is one way to get out of a jam relatively easily with simple tools, with your bike fully assembled. Once you get it back to wherever, dismount the tire, thoroughly clean the rim and inspect the tire before assuming that it is fixed.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2013, 10:18 AM. Reason: Added "deflate tire" step, added disclaimer

Are you doing this clamping with the tire pressurised?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Nope that would be silly. Post edited- thanks for catching that

Comment

my bad but why not take it off completely clean the rim, then use clear silicone around the rim, or rubber cement,yes i have done it it works, i even have a set of 3 piece centerlines car rims that are assembled with it from the factory, also after inflating pour soapy water around the rim seals if it bubbles there is a leak , dont forget to balance it while its off

Comment

Without question that is the proper way to go but for those that either don't have the time, the space or whatever this is an on-the-bike, motel parking lot, 100 miles from home strategy that may not work, but then again it probably will.

Yes the time should be scrubbed clean when the tires were put on and should be attended to properly. Personally I'm going to wait and see if I leaks again becore doing anything further.

Comment

This is kinda like changing one broken ring in a v8. I went to all the trouble and as soon as I started the engine another ring broke. The I pulled them all as piecemeal was exactly that.

Comment

Working...
            X