DIY Motorcycle lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Motorcycle lift

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This is a dental chair that I made into a bike lift. It works real well for my needs, plus it can hold up to 1,500lbs. What is nice is, you can have it up against a wall and you can pivot the lift away from the wall, to get access to both sides of the bike.

Will

I remember you saying you were going to do this. Looks great. I'm envious.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I also remember you saying you were going to do something like this. Great job.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Very Nice. Where did you get the chair parts? How much did it all cost you in materials?
        David
        1998 Suzuki Bandit
        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
        1978 GS1000 - gone
        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I repair and install dental equipment for a living, so I received the chair for free from a Dentist, he had it in storage and needed it removed. To build it, I just used 2x3s and some wood siding I had leftover from a building project. The front wheel stop is a 1981 GS650GL rear fender that I had from a parts bike. Basically all I had to do is remove the chair back, drill some holes and connect a footswitch. I store the bike on the lift, so it does not take up that much more room then the bike itself. These chair can lift up to 1,500 lbs. The only thing I would have done different is make the bottom platform a couple of inches wider. If you Google Adec 1005 dental chair, you may find a local Dentist thats has one for sale. Also, there are other manufacturers that make dental chairs that are of the same design, I can only speak for Adec chairs.

Will
          Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Will. That is great. I am tired of being on the floor working on bikes. Super job.
            David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

very cool !
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

Fantastic job. I suggest you may want to modify a C clamp to make a wheel cock for the front wheel but thats just my 0.02

Comment

That turned out very nice! and cool music who-ever that was
                  1982 GS1100G

....I've learned alot by making stupid mistakes..

Comment

Originally posted by Willmrx View Post
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yOUW1aBPAY
                    This is a dental chair that I made into a bike lift. It works real well for my needs, plus it can hold up to 1,500lbs. What is nice is, you can have it up against a wall and you can pivot the lift away from the wall, to get access to both sides of the bike.

Will
                    That's really cool.

I do have one related question, though, what dentist has a patient so large that they need a 1,500lb.-capable chair?!

Comment

Great idea.

The only thing that makes me nervous is that the bike isn't locked or strapped down on that platform.

If nothing else, you will be inspired to perform a deep cleaning every time the bike is on the lift.

Comment

I use a strap to tie down the front tire when I do any real work on the bike. As for the 1,500 lbs lift capacity? It is because of the weight of the dental unit, light, cuspidor and other accessories that might be used on the chair, and of course the weight of the victim, I mean patient.

Comment

Working...
                        X