Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS no fire after speedo swap

Hello all,
    I'm working on a 1979 gs750L and I love it. But, I recently changed the main gauges with a smaller single gauge unit.
    I removed the main wiring from the gauge unit. I cut the wires to the fuel gauge and cut a few more to remove the housing.
    After this the bike would not fire. I got it to turn over, but no spark. The coils and leads worked fine before the swap so I assume there is a wire that needs to be grounded to finish the circuit, I just need to know what to do to get my bike running again.
    I have a wiring diagram and tried to connect the ground wires back together but still nothing. Iv searched the forums but haven't found an answer yet. To pin point the actual wire needed would be great.
    Thanks for the help!

Do you have power at the coils and ignitor? Thats the first thing to make sure you have.

If only it was as easy just asking someone what is wrong with the bike and them having the exact answer with no testing/checking involved...oh how magical that would be.

Comment

Use some jumper wires, and hook the old gauges back up. If it runs, deconstruct it until you find which wires are the problem and then figure out a workaround so it runs again. Think outside of the box, because you might have done something seemingly unrelated that has caused the problem while you were doing this.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Loose plug somewhere????
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!!

Hi Mr. mgkoret,

Make sure the orange wire to your coils has 12 volts. Here's your mega-welcome. You'll find lots of resources in the links below.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

With a multimeter set on AC to the highest setting and the positive tester in the +, where should a connect the positive tester to test the voltage to the coil, and do I need to remove the coil or the lead before testing?
            I tried re connecting most of the wires from the main unit and still no luck. Still think something isn't being grounded or a short or something. Just want to ride hah

Comment

The orange wire, with multimeter set to ac 500 and negative grounded to frame, it read 22v and responded when the ignition was engaged.

Comment

You need to look up your meter and read the instructions. Coil tests are on the resistance (ohms) scale and voltage tests are on the DC voltage scale preferably in the middle of the scale or whatever is closest to half of what you expect to read (25V would be ideal). Some meters have auto range features. The only tests on the AC scale would be between stator leads in the 100 volt range or higher with the bike running. The instructions will also tell which terminals to plug the leads into for different tests. Instructions are important because meters vary widely in features and controls if you are not familiar with them.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I read them. Testers in the ohms neg in the com, meter set to 500 on the ~v. That was how the meter set up instructed. Reached 22v. Sorry for the confusion. I dont do a lot of electrical work.
                  So if the coils are getting charge, could there be a safety feature on the bike related to the gauge unit that would cause a misfire?

Comment

You didnt hit the kill switch on the right handlebar on accident?

Comment

You had to cut more than the wires to the gauges, as you can unplug the gauges and remove them completely from the bike and it will still run. The gauges have zero bearing on the bikes ability to run. You need to trace out what ever else you cut. Sounds like you may have cut the wires going to the right hand control , or the ignition switch.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Traced down the issue to a corroded ground wire for the kill switch. Now the bike has power, a new battery, working speedometer, but no fire. Lovely. Doing a spark test in the morning. Then i dont know what next. Carbs maybe

Comment

Working...
                        X