Clear All

Wow, ATGATT for a bear; pretty good.

And it's been 6 years that he's been traveling. Wow how time flies
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

He was invited to Norman quite some time ago. Around the end of October would be great. Then he can come join the 4,000 other for the HARVEST CLASSIC weekend down in Lukenbach TX. And as always we would LOVE to see some GSR bikes represented as well.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Wow, ATGATT for a bear; pretty good.

And it's been 6 years that he's been traveling. Wow how time flies
        Yep, and I'd like to think a little bit of "Flyboy" lives in that bear... r.i.p. flyboy
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          He was invited to Norman quite some time ago. Around the end of October would be great. Then he can come join the 4,000 other for the HARVEST CLASSIC weekend down in Lukenbach TX. And as always we would LOVE to see some GSR bikes represented as well.

http://www.harvestclassic.org/
          I'd been wondering where he'll go next. Didn't think anything would materialize so soon but...

My aunt lives in Sapulpa and I've been itching for a chance to go visit. I'd like to hand deliver Stator to you, Lord willing.

That Harvest Classic looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure Stator would love it!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

He sure is motivated! Didn't waste a minute getting to work. Kept asking if I was done with my coffee, finished with breakfast etc.

Hard at work.

20190616_080907 by Roger, on Flickr

If it won't move, get a bigger hammer!

20190616_085715 by Roger, on Flickr

Clever little guy!

20190616_084303 by Roger, on Flickr

I don't thiink he really wants to get his hands dirty. That's OK though, he's come a long way and deserves a break!

20190616_112614 by Roger, on Flickr

Now to remove the old gasket. Ugh!
            Last edited by Burque73; 06-16-2019, 04:58 PM.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              Yep, and I'd like to think a little bit of "Flyboy" lives in that bear... r.i.p. flyboy
              Any talk of Stator reminds me of Flyboy. Kind of a cool way to live on.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I'm always impressed with the eagerness Stator has at doing things and the way we can get him to stand/sit certain ways to reflect it.

I'm sure Flyboy is smiling every time he "reads" this thread. I too miss hearing from him and reading about Jennifer; we never got to meet but I appreciated his encouragement when I first joined the forum and did any of the work I had to get mine running right.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  Stator arrived safe and sound this afternoon along with a few goodies from up North.

If it won't move, get a bigger hammer!

Glad Stator is in NM for new adventures.

He looked pretty innocent when he got there and then put a hammer to your bike I see. I hid my hammers.

That's him alright. I miss him.

Fridays nights aren't the same any more here.

He used to sneak into the nearby camp-ground, steal beer and flirt with single women.

I don't get to bail him out any more. Or get visits by neighbours, campers nor police officers either. They got to be friends.

Bored.

Sniff.

We will meet again.
                  Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Stator was always clowning around when he stayed with me.

we enjoyed relaxing and watching football

and never but never overindulged

miss the little squirt as well.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Anyone know where the idea for Stator got started

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
                        Stan In South Africa known as Flyboy.... Sadly he has passed away......
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
                          Go to the top of this page, look near the upper-right corner for the list of pages, click on "First", start reading.

Yours was post #1075 in the thread, so it might take a while to do through it. I would suggest making sure your preferences are set to the maximum of 40 posts per page, to minimize the number of page loads you have to do.

I think my favorite post in this thread is #477. Don Pepe at Sturgis.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Boy, if I don't get Stator out in the wind sometime soon, I'm afraid hell leave without me.

20190628_071330 by Roger, on Flickr

We're tentatively planning a ride to Ruidoso for next weekend. That'll be his next opportunity to get some real ride time. Until then, I'm sure I can find a few interesting places around here. Work keeps getting in the way.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

So, how does one become worthy of hosting this furry little biker bear? If it's having to replace the part from which his he is named, then I may be in the running. My battery died yesterday and after an afternoon of pushing and bump starting the 850, I made it home to test the stator's output. In short, looks like I have a few more parts to order!

I know Mr Bill had Stator for a while and he's seen a good portion of Southern NM, no doubt partaking in some of the finest green chile from nearby Hatch, NM. I would, however, like to invite him back to The Land Of Enchantment for a visit in Albuquerque. Should he accept, I'll send a PM to his current host with my address.

From the 10,600 foot high Sandia Peak to the Rio Grande valley, Stator is sure to find this an enjoyable place to ride. I'll show him volcanos and grand vistas, mesas and meadows and even share some fine Mexican brew with the little guy. Wait, is he 21 yet?

Anyway, pm being sent in hopes of an accepted invitation.
                              I was hoping to post the pics I took. Some where in my moving my new wife in and getting rid of useless items, I have been unable to find the SD card with his pictures. Still looking though, there is hope.
                              Last edited by mrbill5491; 06-28-2019, 12:19 PM.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Stator arrived safe and sound this afternoon along with a few goodies from up North.

20190615_153218 by Roger, on Flickr

Thank you very much, Daniel! I'll enjoy a brew tomorrow AFTER installing this new satator. Yeah, it was weird how UPS, USPS and FedEx all showed up within a few hours of each other. I'm all set to swap out the fried stator. This little guy sure was curious what all the fuss was about this thing that shared his name. After six years of hanging around these bikes and their owners, surely he's come across one of these before. I showed him anyway...

20190615_161620 by Roger, on Flickr

I decided to drain the old oil prior to this project. Since it sat for a week, a short ride was in order to stir things up a bit.

We may need to get some proper gear for stator, but for now this will do.

20190615_164017 by Roger, on Flickr

Just drained the oil tonight, tomorrow the fun starts.
                                Hope you upgraded to a new Series typ RR while your doing this.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X