This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
    Hope you upgraded to a new Series typ RR while your doing this.
    I sure did. A couple of years ago my stock one pooped out. I installed an SH775. Notice the grey plug at the end of the stator wires, under the airbox in post #1070.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
      Stan In South Africa known as Flyboy.... Sadly he has passed away......
      Yeah, but does anyone know who Stan originally got idea from before they were banned.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
        Yeah, but does anyone know who Stan originally got idea from before they were banned.
        Stan wasn't " banned " ... He passed away...... As far as I know it was his idea though I don't remember the details when it was discussed.... There was some membership discussion of the name to give our little traveler but I don't recall who came up with the name " Stator " ........
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

What made you think Stan was banned? He passed away recently from what I think was cancer (but I could be wrong). I don't remember who actually came up with the idea but I do remember it was borrowed from a group that did something similar.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Stan passed from brain cancer if memory serves...
            Stator was named as a result of a poll that was posted here. Other options were luminaries from the early days of GSR.
            I think the idea was a take on a Kawasaki riders group that passed a flag along.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Anyone know where the idea for Stator got started
              Stan In South Africa known as Flyboy.... Sadly he has passed away......
              That's a sad bit of GSR history there. I'm sure Flyboy would be glad to see all the places Stator has been.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I had a feeling Stator would like this place.

He never turns down a free ride.

Just one of the guys!

Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Stan wasn't " banned " ... He passed away...... As far as I know it was his idea though I don't remember the details when it was discussed.... There was some membership discussion of the name to give our little traveler but I don't recall who came up with the name " Stator " ........
                  Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  What made you think Stan was banned? He passed away recently from what I think was cancer (but I could be wrong). I don't remember who actually came up with the idea but I do remember it was borrowed from a group that did something similar.
                  I didn't mean Stan was the one banned, I meant the person he got the idea of having some Mascot or item that traveled around to members all over was banned not Stan.

I remember Stan acknowledged were the idea came from at some point but after the person was banned, the posts were deleted, which was probably a good idea so not to tarnish the idea.

Comment

Flyboy had the idea. Colin Green here in NZ bought Stator and sent him on his way - to me. At that point he had front and rear badges pinned on. My wife sewed them on. He got his first run on a racetrack and loved it. The little so and so has never looked back, LOL

No idea what happened to Colin Green. He was at the other end of NZ to me and I've never met him. He was active on a Kiwi forum but has dropped off that one too.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                      Flyboy had the idea. Colin Green here in NZ bought Stator and sent him on his way - to me. At that point he had front and rear badges pinned on. My wife sewed them on. He got his first run on a racetrack and loved it. The little so and so has never looked back, LOL

No idea what happened to Colin Green. He was at the other end of NZ to me and I've never met him. He was active on a Kiwi forum but has dropped off that one too.
                      Yes,

What he said.

I remember Stan starting a tread to bounce the idea and that other forums and or clubs had mascots.

I can't find that tread.....Must be gone for some reason.

Then there was a tread to find a name. Some wanting another animal type.
                      Stator was the definite favourite as "Stators" are the bane of our life as GS owners.
                      Always making themselves known and being troublesome.

Stan was very much active on the forum and then he wasn't.

I then found out that he had died after a bout with brain cancer. RIP my friend. Heaven, for you, will be filled with motorcycles, aircrafts and relatives.

His forum status has recently changed to "Guest" from being inactive.
                      Last edited by Highway_Glider; 07-03-2019, 04:33 AM.
                      Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                      1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post

I couldn't remember Colin's name until I saw it in print. I don't think he was banned but I do remember him expressing displeasure with the forum or some of the members here and planning on leaving. I often hoped he would pop back on and comment on the travels of his Bear. RIP Stan and thanks Colin!
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                          I couldn't remember Colin's name until I saw it in print. I don't think he was banned but I do remember him expressing displeasure with the forum or some of the members here and planning on leaving. I often hoped he would pop back on and comment on the travels of his Bear. RIP Stan and thanks Colin!
                          Colin was pretty controversial on the other forum where I saw him. A rabid anti-vaccer for one thing. He wasn't banned there AFAIK, just dropped off.

Comment

Where's the bear ?

Comment

Albert's Turkey, New Mexico.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, he's been hanging out here. I'm sure he'd like to go someplace cooler though. I'm hoping that next weekend on my birthday I'll be able to show him around the Northeastern part of New Mexico. Maybe head up to Raton and turn right. I've never been up there before.
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                                X