Weird stator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird stator problem

I bought an 82 GS550L about 2 months ago, it had an engine with no compression. Replaced the engine and after that found out the stator was burnt. Bought a Caltric stator and thought my riding days are here. But this weird problem comes up. I check each stator lead with ground and there is continuity. I take the cover off and then the stator and check for continuity with the mounting points and there is none. It ohms out correctly with the cover off. Checked for pinching and crimps, None! When I start it up it starts, the R/R gets hot and doesn't charge it. I'm not starting it again until I know what to look for. Has anyone come across this problem in the bike's 31 years of existence? I've also read the stator papers.

When stator is mounted and you're ohms checking to ground/case, is the R/R disconnected from stator?? You said no signs of pinching- all the way from stator thru starter cover,etc?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yup, the stator is disconnected from the R/R.

Comment

You've " read the stator papers", but how about doing some testing beyond ohming. Basscliff's is good place to start, skip to his running AC test and report your results. many,many posts on charging system problems and there's been some odd ones lately.

How many hours on this stator and R/R combo? did you ohm check this stator prior to first use?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The stator has less than 15 minutes of use. I didn't bother to check the ohms before I installed it. Should have done it in hindsight. I do not know how old the r/r is though. I am very limited on budget, and I also have an oem rs2150 r/r that is on it now. Where as when I got it, came with something that is identical in all ways except for the part number. That one melted spots on the back so I am using the rs2150 now.

I will do the running ac test today. Though I am scared I might do damage to a brand new stator. Thanks Tom.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ya_mean,

You'll find lots of charging system information and testing procedures on my little website. Check out ALL the links in your "mega-welcome" for maximum GS expertise absorption.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
            Help! Your Bike Won't Start
            DON'T DO THESE THINGS
            Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
            Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Welcome to the forum. You said nothing initially about replacing the R/R that probably caused the old stator to burn up in the first place. The old shunt type R/R's were junk and there are much better options out there today. Pull the stator and check from each lead to the body of the stator (I would do it on the back side near a screw hole where you can scrape a small space to insure your meter lead makes good contact). If you have any continuity from any of the leads, there are windings shorted to the stator body. Inspect it thoroughly, the varnish is the only insulation on the wire and if any is exposed to bare copper wire that's a problem. If there is continuity on any of the leads, send it back. If it checks out, it's most likely the case pinching a wire. You don't have to see copper to create a short. Any insulation squeezed thin enough will conduct. It could also be a problem in the wire sheath itself. I just got back to my computer after being out several hours. Your limited budget is going to have to afford a reliable R/R, or park it until you can after you determine if the stator is defective or if it is operator error.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

For that AC test, the R/R is not connected, so it can't do any (more) harm- it's just a check to see what AC voltage the unloaded stator can produce phase to phase. But also do this AC voltage check at same time- put one probe on any stator output wire, then put other probe on good frame ground-running at 4k rpms, you should see no voltage, but report what you get.
                As Oldvet66 said, a bad R/R can smoke a stator, and there are plenty of lousy R/R's out there- even new ones!
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Thanks guys,

Found the problem, there was a short in the windings, from being squished while mounting it to the cover. User error 100% TIL even if it is plug and play, always use caution.

Comment

It's good to confess! But heed advice about R/R -your new stator will love you better!
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                    X