79 Model GS400 Cafe, Points Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 Model GS400 Cafe, Points Question

Good morning (depends where in the world you are i guess), have been working on my project, it is 90% finished but have been riding it in the past 2 months. Will get a photos up for you guys (Pete thanks for your help as well as other members).

I have bypassed the ignition and am left with the kick starter (i now have the electrics separate from the engine, if you know what i mean).

My question is, can i replace the current points to an electronic system?? I remember reading about that once one of the prior posts but can't find it!

Also Pete, do you anyone down in Sydney who can help me tuning the old girl???

Thanks guys, you ALL do such a wonderful job keeping the gs's on the road, and mine is another.

Cheers

Dave

Join the "Sydney Cafe Racers" on facebook.... they will provide you with some good help man!

Comment

Dyna S have an electronic ignition conversion for your model but it aint cheap!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Just replied to your PM Dave

Forgot to say anything about points!

The Dynatek DS3-3C kit is designed for your bike but I'm running it on my 450 and loving it... but as Adrian says it ain't cheap! Comes with new coils though so there are benefits to it...

Aside from that, you could potentially get a newer GS500 setup to bolt in, but you need to make sure you get the ignitor, coils, signal generator, and rotor as they have electronic advance instead of mechanical advance.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
        X